Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of buying this router

I sold my Craftsman router for about $15, and I think I got the better of the deal. [I bought it as a young newbie.]
    All that was said about 1/4" collet vs 1/2" is true, but more than that, a good router is a pleasure to use. A cheap one is a scarey experience.
    Ken

Not the price that you are talking about, but I just bought my upgrade router - a reconditioned Porter Cable 892 on Amazon for $119. 1 year warrantee, variable speed, highly rated, and so much quieter and smoother than my $59 Ryobi that I actually use it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Werner View Post
    I sold my Craftsman router for about $15, and I think I got the better of the deal. [I bought it as a young newbie.]
    All that was said about 1/4" collet vs 1/2" is true, but more than that, a good router is a pleasure to use. A cheap one is a scarey experience.
    Ken

Amen! The Ryobi in a very cheap aluminum base took all the pleasure out of the experience. It felt shaky and out of control. A better made router was much smoother. Total noise when cutting is probably as loud, but it was a better noise - like great music vs. trash can lids.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Ditto on the Sears router. I had one -- not worth it. Sears also has the Porter Cable 690 combo kit (fixed & plunge base) for about $200. Great router and it's really like having 2 routers because of the 2 bases.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gary View Post
    I want a router. I do not need one I just want one. I do not build anything except some crude outside furniture. (Benches etc.) When I bought my table saw (before finding this site) I latter wished I had done more research and waited.

Anyway – I saw this on sale at Sears http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

It is on sale for ½ price. For $60 I don’t see how I could go wrong. And if it doesn’t work out I could always return it within 90 days. I would love a better table and router but I can not justify it at this point in time. So what do you think of this for a first time hobby router?

Thanks for your advice,
    Mark

Smile lesson learned

I'm still a rookie at this woodworking stuff but I do enjoy it. I bought a router with a 1/4" collet a few years ago in all of my limited wisdom. I wanted to make some raised panel cabinet doors about a year later, bought the bits for the job, then realized my mistake on the router. With my newly acquired knowledge, I then bought a variable speed router with the 1/2" collet. My next dilemma...the fixed opening in my router "plate" attachment on my table saw wasn't large enough for the larger bit heads. No problem, I just need a dedicated router table with the right plate. Next dilemma, my workshop isn't big enough for yet another table...let alone the $ for it and the $ already invested in this 'hobby' of mine. No problem, I'll just sell the pool table and dedicate the entire basement as my workshop. Next dilemma, can't negotiate with the wife and kids for any more space out of the basement. Moral of the story...don't ask me for advice! ...but if I was doing it all over again, I would have started with a variable speed, 1/2" collet router. Anybody want my old router?! How about a pool table?!
    Last edited by Eric Walker; 06-13-2007 at 12:02 PM.

And to add to the fray......
    To my limited knowledge ther ain't no such thang as a 2 hp, 10 amp motor running on 110v.
    Bill

As I understand it Craftsman never made their own wrenches. Craftsman is now made by Danaher Tools last I heard.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will pass and save up some more money and buy a better router and maybe try to build my own table.

Thanks again for all of the advice,
    Mark

Hello,
    I think I will pass and save up some more money and buy a better router
    Wise choice - IMHO.
    I bought both a Craftsman and a Ryobi, before I "knew better".
    I've since bought a Freud 1700.

The Freud is a pretty decent machine.

The other two have their uses,,,but,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gary View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses. I think I will pass and save up some more money and buy a better router and maybe try to build my own table.

Thanks again for all of the advice,
    Mark
    Mark, great move. There are plenty of great "deals" out there from time to time. Decide what you want and then look for a deal on that model or it's equivalent.

Amazon comes to mind as one place to start. Some people put an item in their cart and check each day to see what the price is. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but some have found great deals that way.

Secondhand may also be possible, but personally I'd be hesitant because a router is a tool that can easily be abused.

A review of posts on this site should give you a lot of ideas as to which router you might want as well as other ways to find a good deal. Go rot it and enjoy.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Bill, you get an A+ for that. One of the things I do with my students is show them labels for power tools, compressors etc and ask them if they see any conflicts. The disconnect between amp and horse power ratings are the first thing they look at.

True Rick, Danaher has been making C-Man ratchets, sockets and wrenches for years now. No Craftsman factories anywhere.

A few years ago I was given a 1/4" C-Man router as a birthday present. I truly appreciated the gift, but found the 1/4" limiting and the noise and vibration level high. Last year, I made it the permanent resident of my router table and am now looking for a plunge router(1/2") to use as my "carry around" router.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    Another one, on the lower, left looks pretty good for about the same price with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...inate+Trimmers
    Is this the one made by Porter Cable for Sears?

13. I have this router http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B0009VCBBQ Its a good router for the money.

I agree with the others

I agree with the others comments.. Buy quality and you will only cry the one time at the checkout counter. Only will hurt a little when you pay for it.. WHen you buy low quality you wiull be paying for it often times whenever you go to use it and the piece of ..... well you get it

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Blaine View Post
    Is this the one made by Porter Cable for Sears?
    It looks like it but I don't know for certain.