Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What inexpensive chainsaw do you recomend?

Blog Entries

What inexpensive chainsaw do you recomend?

There's a big 5 foot piece of a tree sitting in a dirt lot down the street from me and it's too heavy to lift. I've got to get this before someone beats me to it. So I need a chain saw.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

A coldpack and a couple buddies would probably get the wood while you save up for a nice Husky or Stihl.

Bill - you're a business leader of your community and bound to know lots of folks - just borrow one for an hour.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Rent one, Bill...don't buy an inexpensive chainsaw...save for a good one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bill............Save your money and buy a good one! I did 30 years ago when I was heating with wood in Central Oregon. I bought a professional model. Even though it has set as long as 5-7 years without being started, fresh gas, oil and a few tugs on the cord. It still starts.......Best bang for the buck is buying a good one up front. Saves on frustration too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bill,
    Normally I don't recommend a crapsman for anything, That be said I have a 16" and an 18" craftsman both bought form sears as returns or refurbs. I have been using them for years and I cut about 4 cord every year for heat.

Bob

i wouldnt take a craftsman if you gave it to me there just a poulan with diffrent color plastic
    junk save for a stihl

kevin

I had a craftsman that broke, and I took the return credit towards a husky. VERY glad I did. Too many things to go wrong with chainsaws.

Normally I would not contradict these guys; however I used a 14" Poulan for almost a year before it pooped out. I paid $99.00 and it was worth every penny I paid for it. It cut a ton of blanks and had I given it more care it probably lasted longer.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

10. Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    Normally I would not contradict these guys; however I used a 14" Poulan for almost a year before it pooped out. I paid $99.00 and it was worth every penny I paid for it. It cut a ton of blanks and had I given it more care it probably lasted longer.
    Normally neither would I, but two years ago I needed a chainsaw and didn't have the cash for a good one. So I got a $99 Homecraft and it sawed a ton of blanks while I saved for a Husky 455. Ditto on the better care statement for it to have lasted longer. Sure do love the Husky now.

Jim

Save, save, save

The other posts are correct, borrow right now and save for a good saw. I have an older stihl, and would not trade it for any new inexpensive saw.

I just bought a Stihl 180 CB two nights ago, $219. Consider that an Echo at the box store is $269 (with less HP). I just replaced my Poulan Wild Thing that I bought off EBAY for $69 five years ago. For the umpteenth time I dropped a log on the Poulan and this time the handle got broke. I will replace the handle as the saw still runs like a bear and will have it as a backup. I can not badmouth the Poulan as it has cut a lot of wood. I also have an 066 Stihl that I use for felling and on the Alaskan Chain Saw Mill and this thing will run for ever, the reason for buying the 180!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Rent one, Bill...don't buy an inexpensive chainsaw...save for a good one.
    Excellent advice and I agree 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher K. Hartley View Post
    Chris, I have that same saw, the 14" Poulan. I have to tell you, I hate the thing for a few reasons. First, the 14" bar does not give me enough length to control my cut, resulting in it going off in whatever direction it wants. My 20" Stihl, OTOH, does not present that problem. Second, the Stihl will start on a dime whereas I have to fuss and fight the Poulan to make it start. The Poulan also floods far more easily, increasing downtime. I've kept my Poulan only for a backup and for crosscutting of small logs. Well, there was also this embarrasing moment two weeks ago when I got my Stihl pinched in a log and had to use the Poulan to cut it out. Thank God the Poulan actually started for me that time.

I agree rent, or borrow one, and save up for a good one solo, husky,

I agree dont buy junk.If my Stihl wasnt working I would get my son or neighbor,freind on the other side of my two person saw. A bow saw could be used with one or two people. if the workout is too difficult then renting is an excellent option.