Thread: KC Area folks -- deal alert!!!!

KC Area folks -- deal alert!!!!

I stopped by Paxton's lumber today to pick up some Birdseye and Curly Maple. I noticed they had a bin by the front door filled with several exotic species. All for good prices. I picked up two 6"x36"x1" pieces of Cocobola for $11.30/bd ft. All the lengths were about the same but they varied in with from 2" to 8". They normally charge nearly $30/bd ft. When I got home I wish I had bought about 10 more board feet. Since it is a 25 minute drive for me one way, i probably will have to pass on getting more. In talking with a guy, he said a store in New Orlean's closed and they bought it out cheap and wanted to move it. For the life of me I can't think of what else they had in the bin, I think they had Macacauba, Bocote, Tulipwood, etc.

While there, one of the guys wanted to know if I would be interested in a piece of Curly Maple they had (10"x12') originally stacked with the Soft Maple. He said I could have it for the same price as soft. So $33 and I am out the door. I need to run it through the planer and drum sander to clean it up a little, but from what I can see it looks pretty nice.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Scott,The Paxton’s in my area charges an arm & leg for everything, I rarely use them. They do have some nice wood though.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Scott,The Paxton’s in my area charges an arm & leg for everything, I rarely use them. They do have some nice wood though.
    They are equally out-of-line price wise here in Dallas. I get all my hardwoods from either Austin Hardwoods (if I want to work it myself) or Hardwood Lumber Co. (if I want them to surface plane and sand it to thickness).
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 01-11-2004 at 7:00 PM. Reason: removed signature information