Thread: Has anyone made their own lattice?

Has anyone made their own lattice?

Hello,
    I'm thinking about using lattice in place of ceiling tiles for a suspended ceiling.
    A local resteraunt did this and the effect is really nice. I picked up a couple of pieces of treated lattice to play around with and tried to duplicate what they (the resteraunt) did, but w/out any success.
    Plus - I really don't want to use treated inside.

I also tried cutting down a piece of the plastic stuff, but again, it didn't look right.

A big part of the problem is that the ready made stuff is a bit thin. I'd like to rip something a bit thicker that has a little more strength.

I'm open to any suggestions.
    TIA.

Norm buit his own for something I beleive. You may wish to look that up. One thought though is that the dust will eventually collect on the top if you do not leave yourself access to get to it..

I made some once to add above a wall between my house and a neighbor's. We were restricted to a 6' high wall and it added some additional privacy.

If I recall correctly, I added a dab of glue and I think a staple at each joint, maybe not each joint but many of them. It made it more stable that way. I think I used 1/4" x 2" slats for it. When Norm made his he constructed a jig to keep the slats evenly spaced. At the time I built mine I wasn't as experienced and I just eyed mine.

this old house the tv show had how to make lattice

they didnt explain how they started the first course only that they used another pcs of the lattice stripping to keep them all aligned the same

but if i was doing this i would make a larger speed square say 24" and use it to start the first course by 45ing it from the rafter and use another strip to keep them spaced right
    nailing each course to the rafters then i would start another layer doing it the same but
    turned 90 degs from the first layer and nail in each place where the second layer crosses the first layer

kevin