Thread: G0555 Band Saw

Question G0555 Band Saw

The last major tool I need for my shop is a BS. I have been looking at the Grizzly G0555 for the obvious reason (price!). Has anyone here had the griz for a period of time, and if so, could you tell me your impressions? Likes / dislikes, etc...

Note: I intend to purchase a 6" Riser to enable resawing up to 12" since I will be using some antique pine in a few upcoming projects.

Thanks again,
    Waymon...

Waymon, I have the Grizzly G0555 Bandsaw, and I really like it. It does everything I ask it to, and at times more! I just installed the 6" Riser on mine, and although there are a few things that you must do when installing the riser that they instructions don't mention, a quick call to tech service and less than a minute on the phone had that situation solved. I resaw a lot of Exotic and Domestic Lumber with mine Waymon, and using a good resaw blade, I get virtually no drift and it cuts like a champ. If I had it to do over again, I would by this Bandsaw in a heartbeat. It is easy to setup, has all the features I would look for in a Bandsaw, and mine performs flawlessly. By the way, this was my first Grizzly purchase, besides my DC unit, and I would buy anything from them in the future. Did I mention I like my Bandsaw?

I'm with Kevin. I think my Griz G0555 is outstanding. The fence is quite good and I have nothing but praise for the machine itself. Add a selection of Timberwolf blades and you have an unbeatable combination. This BS is a real value!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Particularly if you are going to add the riser block, take a serious look at the 17" big brother. It will cost about $250 more, but will still be only the price of the smaller 14" Delta/Jet models, and it is one HECK of a saw.

I had the chance to compare them (14" w/riser anticipated vs. 17") and immediately moved to the 17" version.

For what it's worth...
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

Thumbs up Grizzly G0555

I'm with Kevin,
    I've had the Griz for appx year. It has done what I've asked it to do and when I had an adjustment I called tech suppost and we were back up and running in no time flat. Its a solid piece of equipment. The fence system is very solid and secure.

I have one also. It's a very good machine for the price. The frame is a little flexy, and the table trunions aren't very solid. It can really get rocking when cutting badly chainsawed turning blanks.

There's plenty of power to cut 6 inches of "whatever wood" and the DC is very good. The roller bearing guides are great. Overall, it's killer for the price. The fiddling you have to do with the tension adjuster for different blade lengths is a little annoying - but it goes quick. Sometimes I need to tweak the blade length adjustment even when switch from one blade to another that's supposed to be the same length.

Great machine for the price, but it's not the best one out there. I am satisified enough to say that it's a good deal.

I, too, will be purchasing a BS in the very near future. I might try and wait for the March WOodworking show in Tampa, but we'll see.

Anyway, the G0555 is on the top of my list. Although I'd one of the European Grizzly's, they are a little out of my pricerange. However, the Delta 206 is priced fairly close to the Grizzly, with the $50 rebate now. Although you don't get the rip fence with the Delta.

Has anyone been able to compare these two saws? If so, what'd you think?

Thanks!
    Aaron

I don't have the 0555 but I do have the 1019, which I purchased about six years ago. It has always done everything I've needed and I recently installed the riser kit, which is why I'm posting this. I ordered the kit nearly a year ago and received it promptly but it sat on a shelf til this weekend. I installed it and found that the guide post supplied with the kit was round but my original was hexagonal. This morning I called Grizzly and without an order number from my original order they are shipping the right post today.
    Once again, Grizzly has come through with first class service and I will continue to support and purchase from them.

Waymon, I'm with Kevin. I have the riser and have cut quilted, curly, tiger-striped maple, 10" high, 1/8" thick to make some fancy jewelry box tops. The only thing I don't see mentioned in the other responses is that I followed Grizzly instructions to run the motor on 220v. since I have two outlets in my shop.

Same recomendation regarding the blades. Can't be beat for near twice the price. Enough power to cut the 10" block with no problem and with the low tension blades, no blade drift.

Great machine.

Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA