Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redmond Machinery Breaks 10,000

Redmond Machinery Breaks 10,000

Over 10,000 views on the Redmond Machinery saga. I think its safe to say Redmond will not be getting much business from creekers. What a pathetic way to treat a customer. In the end it looks like they got what they deserve.

Dan

Do you suppose the folks at Redmond have been following that thread and read/understand that their boondoggle has reached out to over 10k people? If so, do they care?
    Kyle in K'zoo
    Screws are kinda like knots, if you can't use the right one, use lots of 'em.
    The greatest tragedy in life is the gruesome murder of a beautiful theory by a brutal gang of facts.

It appears that they have been following the thread. It also appears that they still "Don't get it"!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kraft View Post
    Do you suppose the folks at Redmond have been following that thread and read/understand that their boondoggle has reached out to over 10k people? If so, do they care?
    I agree with everything in your post but the number... Be careful... 10k views does not equal 10k people. I've popped into the thread only about 3-4 times, but I'm sure others pop in each day.
    "It's Not About You."

sorry...but one isolated incident does not affect my view of a company. But it does alter my opnion of some of the sharks in here...

unfortunate...but true.

I agree, Redmond dropped the ball on this one. Big time! I will also say I live in Atlanta and have been to Redmond multiple times. The staff there have been great and they have shown me outstanding customer service. I had one of their reconditioned machines go bad on me and they bent over backwards to make it right.

I sincerely hope that one isolated incident does indeed affect the opinion we as a community of woodworkers have on a company. A company is only as good as their last sale, because if they treated even one customer poorly, they could do it to you. And to compare internet/phone sales to a face to face transaction is like the difference between a heated email discussion and standing face to face with your neighbor telling him he is an idiot. Most people act quite differently when their problem is standing in front of them.

I would love to get in to a deep discussion as to why any company brings religion to their retail sales venue, and Redmond is not the only one that comes to mind, but I understand how that could get out of hand in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    sorry...but one isolated incident does not affect my view of a company. But it does alter my opnion of some of the sharks in here...

unfortunate...but true.
    I agree! No matter which forum, when some smell blood in the water, they strike...

Oh, I donno. I think they'll learn something from this and I know their customer service will change for the better.

In their defense, running a small business can be hell. I'm speaking from experience (twenty years of it). Owners can spend nearly all their "customer" time fixing employee screw-ups like a poorly packed jointer.

You often get all your initial information from the very employee(s) that hosed the job (selling it or arranging its packaging). The employee(s) tell you the customer is unreasonable or dishonest.

I have found, through experience, that it always pays to take the customer's side. I tell employees something like, "hey, I'm going to advocate for the customer every chance I get. You know, I don't know him that well, but I do know you. You say he is unreasonable and dishonest, but in all my years of running this place, I've only run into two or three of those guys. The vast majority have been absolutely justified in screaming at me. So I'll tell you what, let's swallow our pride and get this guy fixed up, and make sure something like this doesn't happen again."

Some employees will roll their eyes and get quite negative behind your back after this type of incident. Here is my speech for those employee's: "Hey, you know what? You are turning into one of those guys that poisons the workplace with your constant negativity and smart remarks behind my back. Do you really want to be that guy? Its all up to you. But I don't need any Mr. Negatives on the payroll, and I can guarantee you life is a lot more fun if you approach it a little differently than you have been. But like I said, it is all up to you. Now let's get a [beer, coke, coffee, whatever]."

Finally, I make all employees smile while talking on the phone. It is really hard to come-off sounding like a jerk when you're smiling. Try it!

In Redmond's case, I'd have a sign that reads, "It has been XXX days since a customer has [complained, posted negative comments about us, etc.] made up. I'd have another one that says "it has been XXX days since someone has [said somethign nice to us online]." Just a gentle reminder to all the employees, even the top guy, that they are there for the customer.

But I think Redmond will be back and better than ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post

unfortunate...but true.
    Normally one isolated incident won't affect my view either, but when it's as egregious and deliberate as this one was, I have to go with the sharks. Redmond had several opportunities to do the right thing and continually got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Townsend View Post
    Normally one isolated incident won't affect my view either, but when it's as egregious and deliberate as this one was, I have to go with the sharks. Redmond had several opportunities to do the right thing and continually got it wrong.
    I would still love to hear Redmunds side of the story. And I for one have a HUGE problem with the OP posting emails that were not meant for public viewing. All in all he is getting a replacement jointer. He will be out some money for moving the thing, but I think if he looks around he can get it in his basement for less than $150. I have been visiting this forum since the beginning and before that it was badger pond and for 10 years i have heard nothing but positive things about redmunds and myself I have bought a few things from them including a large bandsaw. For those who want to run them into the ground over this, that is your right. But remember....you may screw up one day and I hope others treat you better.

That is my last comment on the matter.

Redmond

I for one will not roll the dice to see if I'm lucky enought to get good service or not.

I just received my Sawstop TS from Redmond Machinery. They did everything a good company could do to service my needs. For example, they held my saw for a week while I was on vacation (without running my CC yet). Then they shipped it via my carrier to save me some money (about $200 savings). They called me repeatedly to keep me updated as to the status of my order and shipment. Overall I give them a 10 out of 10 for my order...by the way I love my sawstop with a Incra TS fence!! Gloat pics to come after I finish the router table and outfeed support .

"sorry...but one isolated incident does not affect my view of a company. But it does alter my opnion of some of the sharks in here...

unfortunate...but true."

I strongly disagree. We saw first hand how Redmond dealt with a problem. I could not quite believe the list of demands they gave the customer when he did nothing wrong. Do you think a company like Lee Valley would ever treat a customer like this? In this case the customer did nothing wrong and had to deal with Redmonds horrendus customer service.

Dan

15. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    That is my last comment on the matter.

Ahhhh! Tim, you fibbed. I saw the other two posts in the original thread after you said you would not comment on this topic any further. . Couldn't resist could you? Have a nice day Tim. Sit back and drink something cold and that will relax you. Enjoy life. Regards, Bill