Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting ply with a mini-van

Transporting ply with a mini-van

Good BB ply is sold in 5' x 5' sheets.
    This is too big to fit in the back of my mini-van at full size.
    SWMBO said "tie it to the top of the van."
    I just picture my van with a wing on top getting airborne.
    How do others get this type of wood home (especially if I don't have access to a pick-up)?
    jeff

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Way's I've hauled it:
    1) Have the dealer make the first cut for you to make it fit
    2) Use the trailer--still to wide, but I can carry it just fine at an angle.
    3) It fits in my dad's full size truck but not my Colorado

northern tool has the same trailer 4'x8' for $160 if youre interested.

Have it delivered.

Cut it.

(I always have them make the first cut)
    "It's Not About You."

If you have fold-in-the-floor rear seating, you might be able to fit a five by five sheet in behind the middle seating. One of our vehicles is a 2004 Sienna, and I can drop the back seats, slide a 4x8 sheet of plywood up between the middle row of captain's chairs and get it home. I can't remember if I have to slide it between the driver and passenger seats, though. I know I got it home somehow.

What kind of van do you drive?

The owner of the place I buy my baltic birch says it almost never fits in SUV's or Minivans. I know on my Freestar, it wouldn't make it through the backk door without having about 3 inches cut off one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Darl Bundren View Post
    If you have fold-in-the-floor rear seating, you might be able to fit a five by five sheet in behind the middle seating. One of our vehicles is a 2004 Sienna, and I can drop the back seats, slide a 4x8 sheet of plywood up between the middle row of captain's chairs and get it home.
    Not a chance, Darl. Measure the diagonal of your rear hatch/door opening. It is NOT five feet. I know, I drive an '04 Sienna.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The owner of the place I buy my baltic birch says it almost never fits in SUV's or Minivans.
    Matt is correct.

Last time I bought BB at my local mom+pop place, the owner told me a funny story. A guy drove up in a Chevy Astro van and wanted some BB. So she asked him how he wanted it cut. He said he didn't want any cuts, as he had measured and he "knew" it would fit in his van. Now, she knew better, because they also owned a Chevy Astro. But she was also a wise person and knew that arguing would be pointless. So she sold him the BB and watched him try and try .... and try ... to get it into his van.

Being a hobbiest, with a basement shop, I always have the shop make the first cut when buying plywood, whether 4x8 or 5x5. It's easy, it's free, and it just makes things much easier to manage.
    "It's Not About You."

You would think a 5x5 would fit diagonally since a 4x8 will fit flat in most of them, but the way the body curves inwared as you go up, there just isn't a point where there is a 5' opening. Maybe those new boxy SUV's will take them?

My Chrysler Town & Country will take a 4 x 8 sheets. They sit flat on the floor with enough room for fingers on the sides. I think the design team must have had some woodworkers on it. Unfortunately, it won't fit length wise so I can't the back door fully closed. As others have done, I usually have the lumber yard make the first cut for me. Now, 5' x 5' would not work at all. I didn't know that BB ply was sold that way. Thanks for the "heads-up." I'll be prepared when I have to buy some.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

jeff, i usually have my melamine delivered in bulk but when i need to make a run for just one or two sheets, i strap it down to the top of my honda accord with some of those quick straps that they sell at home depot and drive SLOWLY. i just wave when people start staring!

A 4 x 8 sheet of plywood will fit in the extended version of the Chrysler Town and Country with the rear hatch closed. I used to have one and once got 6 sheets of 3/4" ply inside. Another one or two might have fit, but I had some other things to carry and was worried about exceeding the weight limit of the van.

It's my understanding that the 5 x 5 sheet size is the standard in Europe. How do people over there haul the stuff? Their cars and trucks all seem to be smaller than ours.
    George

15. In looking for vans this past spring, I really didn't like the fact that almost none of them have what we used to call a FRAME under them. We were also looking for something V-6 or smaller, which pretty much takes you out of the commercial van biz, from what we were seeing and you don't want a used commercial van.

We did find a great Chev Astro van, with 8'+ between the back doors and the back of the front seats and 49" between wheel wells. In its infinite wisdom, GM stopped making the van awhile ago. So instead of paying $30K for the van we didn't want, we paid $5K for the one we did.

Ugh. More money for me buy tools. Good.