Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few of my Ipe projects tell me what ya think

Few of my Ipe projects tell me what ya think

Last edited by Tom Solomon; 06-17-2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: removed Zip resized Pic's for everyone to enjoy

The content of this message has been deleted because of the re-posting of the pictures in jpeg instead of zip.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-17-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I opened your zip files, not being aware there could be a virus potential until I saw Mike's post. But anyway, those are really nice pieces. I've never worked with ipe. I assume the dark color of the wood is natural
    I liked all of them, a lot.
    Were any/all your own design? I know there's a million plans for Adirondack chairs, but the bar stool and the table look like unique pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    If you want to post pictures, I suggest you do so in jpeg format.

I tried to attach them as jpeg but I couldn't the photo's are too large and it wouldn't allow me to.. the max amount size of files it will let me attach is 107.8kb and the smallest of the Pic's are 437kb so if someone can tell me how to upload larger pic's I would love to just attach them of even paste them but I can't..

And yes the the table and bar stool are my designs I have about 14 table types I make presently and all but one are my personal design. The chairs in the one picture on the beach are sealed with messmers UV for hard wood

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Solomon View Post
    I tried to attach them as jpeg but I couldn't the photo's are too large and it wouldn't allow me to.. the max amount size of files it will let me attach is 107.8kb and the smallest of the Pic's are 437kb so if someone can tell me how to upload larger pic's I would love to just attach them of even paste them but I can't..

And yes the the table and bar stool are my designs I have about 14 table types I make presently and all but one are my personal design. The chairs in the one picture on the beach are sealed with messmers UV for hard wood
    Here ya go, very nice work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks Bob had to ask the wife what to do she is the computer Guru I love the wood working I edited my first post with pictures now instead of Zip's.. thanks again Bob

Beautiful Work

Adirondack chairs are on my list of projects I'd like to build someday soon. Yours sure are beauties.

Tom, how hard on blades, drill bits and chisels is ipe? I've heard that it is difficult to work with, hence the nickname ironwood.

Beautiful chairs. I especially like the table.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

THe wood looks good. How do you glue it?
    Where do you get it?

Tom...Nice job! I especially like the look of the table. As with the other posters, I'd like to know how well ipe works, and the glue (if any) that you used.

Again...sure looks good!

-Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Tom, how hard on blades, drill bits and chisels is ipe? I've heard that it is difficult to work with, hence the nickname ironwood.

Beautiful chairs. I especially like the table.

Ipe isn't bad on the blades or bits as long as you keep them sharp. This is one or the reasons I love working with this wood, because noone in my area likes working with it. I think everyone is afraid that it is too hard of wood and difficult to work with. it was a chalange to me then I fell in love with the wood.. biggest thing is watching the grain when routing it can chip the edges.. that is the main thing you have to watch for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel View Post
    Tom...Nice job! I especially like the look of the table. As with the other posters, I'd like to know how well ipe works, and the glue (if any) that you used.

Again...sure looks good!

-Jeff

Oak and Teak Epoxy glue is what I have been told to use to glue it, and Acetone on the wood to prep the glue joint. Haven't tried it yet but ordered some yesterday I will post how good it works after I try it. With my furniture I use 316SS to fasten everything together.. In Florida on the coast if you use anything less fastener wise it will fail rather rapidly..

Also, Miller Dowel does sell Ipe versions of their stuff. Most places only sell the domestic species but you can buy the exotic stuff direct.

John Minnick Guest
    Great looking furniture Tom. Here is an Adirondack chair I made a few years ago out of IPE. I loved working with it and found it much more predictable than something like cedar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What type of finish are you guys using on your ipe'?