Thread: pen kits

pen kits

Hi everyone well I am getting started and am ready to order a lot of pen kits and would like to know out of all the sites to order from what are your picks and why. I would also like to know if there is a kit like a slimline only a bit bigger.

Hi Sam, welcome to the Creek and welcome to the vortex.

As far as pen kits are concerned, I order direct from Berea Hardwoods for the one kit I use most often (American style flat-top double-twist), but Craft Supplies http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ has lots of nice kits also, as well as Arizona Silhouette http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/. There really isn't a "bigger" slimline, as far as I know, but the flat-top double-twist is a larger pen that lots of my customers really like. You might try that one. You can see some examples of this style here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48834.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Be aware that some kits prefer to be turned on that vendor's mandrels.

That said, I've heard nice things about the Berea kits, although I haven't used them and don't turn pens very often.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Nancy I only live about 30 to 40 min from Berea Hardwoods think ill take a trip over there in the morning

I've been to Berea Hardwoods. They were very nice and helpful. Check their website, their "showroom" is only open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and 2 Saturdays a month.

They sell a "Streamline" pen that is basically a slimline with a larger diameter centerband. It makes a slightly larger pen than a slimline without going to extremes in the wasp-waist area.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Be aware that some kits prefer to be turned on that vendor's mandrels.

That said, I've heard nice things about the Berea kits, although I haven't used them and don't turn pens very often.
    Can CUSA pens be turned on a woodcraft mandrel?

Sam

Make your own centerband from a contrasting wood or corian then you can make the pen any size you want.

Terry

If you take the comfort pen (the one that has the rubber grip) and throw away the rubber grip it gives you a slightly larger diameter pen but with the same basic dimensions as the slimline. The only difference between the slimline and the comfort pen(without the grip) is a larger centerband.

I think the last time I ordered these I got them from either www.woodturningz.com or directly from PSI (if you call woodturningz you get PSI's quanity pricing).

That being said, I generally prefer either Berea or Craft Supplies kits. Arizona Sillouhette is a good source for Berea kits.
    Patrick Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    Can CUSA pens be turned on a woodcraft mandrel?
    Woodcraft sells a stnadard 7mm mandrel. Some Berea Kits use a larger B madrel but they make 7mm bushings for woodcraft so all their kits fit the standard mandrel. All CSU kits use a 7mm mandrel.
    Last edited by Mike Vickery; 06-19-2007 at 1:06 PM.
    Mike Vickery

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lane View Post
    That being said, I generally prefer either Berea or Craft Supplies kits. Arizona Sillouhette is a good source for Berea kits.
    If you want Berea kits, call Berea directly - Larry usually answers the phone, at 877-736-5487. In fact, not half an hour ago I called him and ordered 125 kits of the American flat-top double twist, at $3.70 each. Their kits are resold by CSUSA and AZ Silhouette and you KNOW that CS and AS both mark them up (I know that Woodworker's sure does). Berea will charge you only $4.00 shipping, no matter how big the package.

[Yeah, I know that AS always tucks a little "goodie" into their packages, but is that enough to make up for the price difference?--not in my book.]

www.bereahardwoods.com/price/kits

Nancy
    Nancy Laird

"If you want Berea kits, call Berea directly - Larry usually answers the phone, at 877-736-5487. In fact, not half an hour ago I called him and ordered 125 kits of the American flat-top double twist, at $3.70 each."

I wish I could order 125 kits at a time. The day I do will be the same day I find myself sleeping on the front porch.

I don't think I have ordered more than 10-20 of a particular kit at a time (probably a few more slimlines at a time). At the quantity I am buying, AS and Woodturningz save me a few bucks.

My guess is Berea would probably rather me go through A.S. to keep their phone line clear for customers with larger purchases.
    Last edited by Patrick Lane; 06-19-2007 at 5:51 PM.
    Patrick Lane

Fun-line kits

Penn-State has the cheapest kits I've found. I buy them for the "give-away" pens I make. They have several finishes in their "fun-Line" brand. They cost about $1.50 a kit if purchased in bundles of five. The more you buy the cheaper they are. All the one I have recieved go together and look great. I suspect the gold plate is a bit thin on these however ! The blued steel kits are my favorite.
    "Archaeology is the science of digging a square hole, and the art of spinning a yarn from it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starr View Post
    Thanks Nancy I only live about 30 to 40 min from Berea Hardwoods think ill take a trip over there in the morning
    Sam,
    This would be a very good place to start. Bera Hardwoods is a good,reputable vendor.
    One of your posted questions was about a large slimline pen. The 7 mm streamline pen is probably what you are looking for. It is very similar to the 7 mm slimline pen, using the same tube diameters but having a different center spacer and a larger top.
    The comfort pens are a step up in size also, but often they use a completely worthless click mechanism and maybe a parker refill instead of the cross refill.)
    The next step up in pen size would be the European style pens. They come with both 7mm tube which uses a cross refill and a 8 mm tube construction which uses the parker style refill. There are about 5 different models of each all with different finishes.
    The next size up in pens would be the Amereican style pens probably. (Guess the Olympia pens and some others were missed. The sizing range above is in general.)
    Over a period of about 6 months, I have made about 10 different styles of pens and have found them all very different (and the different vendor have differernt pens that have different problems.) Suggest you pick up 5 or 6 pens of the different styles you like (with bushings and extra tubes) and see wht pen you like and what cosntruction fit your shop.
    For example, I love the European pens and cut the bottom fat but many penmakers hate cutting the tenon on the upper tube. I love el grandes and cigar pens also and hate the slimlines. The 7mm streamline is pretty nice, but the whole pen is too small for my liking. My success with the American style pen is 100% failure and I stay way from them. Rather make a closed end fat FP thatn a slimline anyday.
    Find out what you like and what suits you, then go.
    Best suggestion is to read EVERYTHING on the penturners.org site, ask many questions there, and go make several dozen pens learning.
    the site http://www.penturners.org/forum/link...howsubcat&id=6 is a list of pen maker supply vendors. Spending some time on the websites of the better vendor will help you learn about options, pricing, etc.
    Rich S.

I second Rich on this. Buy at least 2 of several different pen types. This will allow you to mess the first one up of each type and hopefully have a good one after you figure it out.

Cigar's to me are the easiest pen to make, but I don't like writing with them for some reason.

Also, I agree penturners.org is worth becoming a regular member of.

"The comfort pens are a step up in size also, but often they use a completely worthless click mechanism and maybe a parker refill instead of the cross refill."

Please note that PSI has a Comfort Pen that is identical to a slimline with a larger center band.

I will agree that most of the click mechanisms out there aren't worth a flip.
    Patrick Lane

The Pen Shop website is also a good source of information: http://www.thepenshop.net

Nancy
    Nancy Laird