Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon FiOS Ads Are Making Me Nuts!! Please Help

Verizon FiOS Ads Are Making Me Nuts!! Please Help

I don't know if all of you get these ads where you are, but Verizon is running an ad campaign in the Northeast touting its FiOS service. In the ads, the technician (or, in some of the ads, a little kid) touts the various levels of service and then the technician says something to the effect that the fiber is so clean it is "20 Db hot". He then goes on to say something that sounds like "It's true quam" or "it's trick quam". I've been watching these commericals for over a month and I cannot for the life of me figure out what the guy is saying and it is making me crazy!!! Please help me and tell me what he says. I'm begging you....

Thanks,

Jack

I have no idea what that means....but, none the less, you got me started on FiOS again .

I also live in NJ and have been patiently awaiting for FiOS to come down my street. I currently use Comcast and it is underwhelming in quality and support. My Verizon phone service is also crummy too, and prohibits me from having DSL.

I don't know why my area is taking so long to get FiOS. The houses are so close together that one cable going down the block will do 20 homes. I understand that FiOS high definition TV is superior to cable high definition TV. And the non-HD stations are clearer too.

-Jeff

Ask any 12 year old kid, these days that's who they all seem to market to.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

He's referring to the signal strength/loss level on the fiber (+20dB - which is "hot" in the industry) and QAM is digital tuning standard for digital TV. Of course, outside of local channels, the QAM is encrypted so you must use the Verizon STB {set-top tuner box} or a digital cable card from Verizon to access those hundreds of digital channels. But that's really no different, for the most part, from any other cable TV source. The "hot" signal on the fiber theoretically means better connectivity, etc...a good light path...for the services they are sending to your home via the fiber from the central office. (CO)

The ad is kinda purporting that the Verizon FiOS tech is a nifto-neaty technical guru type person...a slam on the stereotypical cable guy. Of course, in reality, most of the folks out there doing the work for the cable companies and phone companies are pretty good at what they do and like any business, there are always a few folks who, um...spoil the fun.

Oh...and you want this service.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-19-2007 at 2:27 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Thank you for this!!! I can finally put my mind at ease.

I've been trying to get FiOS for the last few months. Last time, they claimed they couldn't get the wire from the box on one side of the house to the other without doing a new trench on the other side of my driveway. I'm hoping this time will do the trick....

Jack

Man I could only wish. I live about 6-7 miles from the Central Office and where I am Verizon's answer is DS_ what? Not only that but they don't have ISDN either.

Forget cable, Adelphia was my provider before they went under, but there is no fiber out here so just good old coax.

Instead I am having to use a EVDO cell card in a Kyocera router so all my machines can share the bandwidth at the same time. What a treat.

I started Hampton Roads Online in 1995 with (16) 14.4 modems. We have certainly come a long way since then

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I started Hampton Roads Online in 1995 with (16) 14.4 modems. We have certainly come a long way since then

Most places. Out here, Verizon still thinks that's good enough.

Jeff, I'm doing the same, but with a Linksys router. It works fairly well and seems to (knock on wood) be getting better with respect to dropped connections. We bought an external antenna which helped a lot. Regardless, it is way better than our Direcway was.

Matt,

I would love to be able to convert the SMC server to FIOS. With that kind of bandwidth we could do streaming video, larger pictures and a host of other cool services.

Some Day.......................

Blog Entries
    QAM - Quadrature Amplitude Modulation; a long existing standard that allowed us to go to a whopping 9.6 kbps over dialup once upon a time and used for current purposes today. I'm surprised they are bandying it about as if it were a household word. If the marketing boys start blathering about Trellis or Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing we’ll know the geeks truly have inherited the earth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I was going to tell a story about downloading text in olden days at 300 baud and being able to read it as it streamed in, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who can beat that story because they relied on the pony express for their letters, so I won't.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

But you did! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    I was going to tell a story about downloading text in olden days at 300 baud and being able to read it as it streamed in, but I'm sure there's somebody out there who can beat that story because they relied on the pony express for their letters, so I won't.
    Sure glad you didnt tell that story or I would have told of my smokesignals /drum beating days back in the day.....got alot of exercize when mom called ..that woman can talk forever
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I go back to TRS-80 (1982) with a 300 baud accoustic coupler.

Text adventures...

I see a door.
    .open door
    I see a table, book, key.
    .get book, get key

Them was da dayz.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I got Fios for the computer a few months back and just last week added Fios HD. Had Directtv HD...

I like it, 'cept MSNBC isn't available. I miss Keith... wouldn't have done it if they'd have said so. Comcast has an exclusive with MSNBC apparently.

Reception is great. It's raining and the signal is still there.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC