Thread: Gloat..and questions about a new DC setup

Thumbs up Gloat..and questions about a new DC setup

I just picked up a Delta 50-760 1 1/2 hp at the local Lowes for $100. Gotta love clearance!

I am starting to design my DC conduit layout, and I had a few thoughts I'd like to throw out for comments or discussion.

With the 1 micron bags that most of the new collectors come with, I was wondering if I could include 3 or 4 air intake hoods in my system to circulate and clean the shop air. Has anyone ever seen a DC system set up that way? I am even considering putting the .5 micron filter on it from Wynn Environmental, which would make it pretty effective as a general air cleaner.

The other thing I was wondering is: what is the best setup for a U-shapes shop that has very little ceiling clearance? Would it be OK to put the DC unit at the "bottom" of the U and run two separate main ducts, one up each side? Being a newbie at DC systems, I wasn't sure if that would put too much strain on the system.

Finally, has anyone ever used the Penn State Industries "economy" duct-work? It's 26 gauge and the folks there say it is very reliable and reasonably durable. If not, are there any other suggestions for a ductwork source for someone on a budget?

Thanks for any comments!

Quesne, the type of blower on your DC isn't the right kind for best results in air circulation/filtration applications. For that, a squirel cage fan is a better choice...you can often get them for free when an older HVAC system is ripped out.

U shape room can be handled by two main branches...for a small DC like yours, you'll want to consider putting a gate on each branch to minimize the effect of any leaks in either branch when using the other.

26 guage metal is what my shop DC plumbing is made up with. It's just fine and economical.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I greatly appreciate the advice. Based on my DC unit's power, it sounds as if I can go with the 26 gauge stuff. By any chance, have you got any photos of you shop's DC setup?

Actually, anyone out there have any pictures of their DC setups? I'm really sort of looking for ideas and trying to imagine what issues I am likely to come across when I start planning and setting mine up. (I may just start a new thread on that!)

Thanks!