Thread: Nailer Opinions Sought

Nailer Opinions Sought

My new project will be to replace the fencing in the back of my house. In order to save my shoulder I'm considering a nailer. My question would be what type of nailer should I get -- Framing, Palm? For the fence the nailer would be used to nail up the slats that are about 1/2 inch deep. Other than the fence it would be used for general house projects. I already have a compressor and cost isn't really an issue as versatility.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
    Midland, TX

Arrow

Well I would suggest 1 of 2 options; 1st would be an 18Ga. Brad nailer. I recently did a fence project with premade 8'x6' Redwood panels and that's what the mfg used so I matched it when I made the gates etc. The brad nailer also comes in real handy for many around the house projects and shoots between 3/4" - 2" brads.
    My 2nd option would be a 15 Ga. angle head finish nailer. This also has many other uses like molding and finish carpentry.
    I use Bostich, but Porter Cable or Senco would work equally well.
    Neither brads nor finish nails are real structural so I wouldn't use them to hold the fence framing together, but will work great on the slats.
    This is definitely IMHO & YMMV.
    Good Luck,
    AZ Scott
    So many tangents so little time.

I use a bostitch utility nailer on the job for fascias, soffits and siding and it is great. Coiled nails are available in plain, stainless and galvanized (rated for acq) in plain and ring shank versions all with heads. I would use stainless nails if possible whenever as the coiling/driving damages the galvanizing and the cost is not that much more. I dont like the idea of assembling any fencing with finish nails but maybe just for the pickets on a small fence. Ring shank nails with heads are the standard and they really hold.

google will show you the nailer.

Ben
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion