Thread: New Duginske Band Saw Book Out

New Duginske Band Saw Book Out

I placed my pre-order some months ago for Mark Duginske's new band saw book. I just received the book last week and have read most of it. It is clearly written and not embellished with too many words . . . to the point. It includes a good section on blade selection. He addresses blade tensioning by asserting that the tension scales on the machines are an adequate means of determining proper tension. Excellent illustrations and up-close photos showing good detail.

At the time I placed my order at Amazon, the book's price was about $13.00 - well worth the few bucks for another insight to using what for me is a primary shop machine. I find, like others on this forum, that the bandsaw is a great way to do my rip cuts.

The New Complete Guide To The Bandsaw, by Mark Duginske, 2007, ISBN 978-1-56523-318-8

I have no affiliation with either the author or Fox Chapel Publishing

Just ordered my copy on Amazon. Thanks for notifying us. I'm looking forward to reading it since I have a new BS that needs assembly.

Rick

Thanks for letting us know about this! I'm going to order a copy, and I look forward to reading it.

Thanks mostly to Mark Duginske's older book and bandsaw video, I'm fairly skilled at tuning them, but now I need to continue to study and practice to become equally skilled at actually using one. And, he makes this look like magic, despite showing all of the details.

Are there any new rip fence designs in the new book? His old scrap plywood with microadjuster design does have some appealing elegant simplicity though.

I had lunch with Mark early this Spring and at that time he showed me the printout of his new bandsaw book that was going to the printer. My impression was the new book had significantly more photos & illustrations then his past book. Although I only got a quick glance at the book... it was way more sophisticated then his previous books.

Thanks for letting me know that it is now available.
    jim
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Yes, I received my copy from Amazon also. I look forward to having enough time to read it. Mark is a good guy.
    Best Regards, Ken

Any comments about how the new book compares to the older edition? I bought a copy of a few months ago....

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox View Post
    Are there any new rip fence designs in the new book? His old scrap plywood with microadjuster design does have some appealing elegant simplicity though.
    He mostly shows the fence he designed that is marketed under the Kreg name. He demonstrates it while cutting curves using a unique single-point technique where the workpiece pivots against an attachment on his newly designed fence. In addition to a taper jig, he has drawings for a micro-adjustable fence that is shop made. He includes a number of jigs for the bandsaw.

Thanks for the recommendation, Jeff. I ordered it and got it yesterday. It's the best book I've seen on bandsaws. Profusely illustrated with photos and drawings, clear, great stuff on blade selection and jigs.

Jack

Band Saw Book

I just got mine today and it looks great...then I noticed that it is printed in china Looks like mine is going back to amazon and I will be buying the older version.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Calkins; 07-31-2007 at 11:02 PM.

It'll be fine ... just don't eat it, it might have melamine in it!

Rob, about the book printed in China. Whats the old saying - Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.