Thread: buffing wheels

buffing wheels

I am in the process of building a buffing sys and would like to know where
    is the best place to buy 8" buffing wheels.

Thanks,Byron

Byron.....any of the major turning suppliers sell some form of buffing wheels and bowl buffs. I bought mine from a Woodcraft store in Spokane, WA because I'd driven 110 miles to the store and they were sitting on the shelf staring at me. In my mind I could here them say "Ken....take us home....We'll perform.....We won't let you down....Ken ....take us home..." Anyway you get the idea. Mine are Beal buffing wheels but other places sell Beal and their own home store brand.....PSI.......CAUSA..etc.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I bought mine from Don Pencil because I was already buying the 8TPIx1" lathe adapter from him.

Byron,

The buying question has been answered already but I wanted to share a few things with you about buffing.

I use a Beall woodbuff system and love it. It does not come with a morse taper so be sure to order one if you want to use it on your lathe. I don't have and dont see a need to buy the "three wheel mandrel" that allows you to run all three wheels at once. Only takes a few seconds to change wheels.

One other thing...if you order it, go find yourself a piece of 1/4" threaded rod and a wingnut and washer to fit it. The morse taper is drilled so that you can insert the rod into it and through your headstock then tighten it in with a nut/washer. I wouldn't run my buffer without that.

May want to pick up a set of buffing balls also if you want to finish the inside of your bowls.

Good Luck!
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Slutsky View Post
    One other thing...if you order it, go find yourself a piece of 1/4" threaded rod and a wingnut and washer to fit it. The morse taper is drilled so that you can insert the rod into it and through your headstock then tighten it in with a nut/washer. I wouldn't run my buffer without that.
    I use the lathe adapter from Don Pencil. It threads directly onto my spindle. No drawbar required. Highly recommended.
    http://www.donpencil.com/buffingsystems.htm

As for the 3-in-1, it's generally not recommended unless you're doing small items because the 2 other wheels can get in the way when working on one.

Patrick,

Do the Beall wheels fit the Pencil adaptor? If so I have an order to make!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Slutsky View Post
    Do the Beall wheels fit the Pencil adaptor?
    I can't guarantee it but I think they probably do. I have the wheels and the adapter both from Don (aka "wood n' things" brand).

I think others use the beall wheels with the pencil adapter, so hopefully they will jump in. Otherwise, check the thread size on the wheels and call to check the threads on the adapter. They're very friendly.