Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Festool worth it?

Is Festool worth it?

I have a Makita LXT 18v, a Dewalt 14.4v, another Dewalt 9.6v and a Bosch 10.8v pocket driver. For woodworking I use the Dewalt 14.4v the most. I recently went to a Woodcraft store and saw a Festool C12 drill/driver. I loved it, but at $100 more than my Makita hammer drill/ driver it's something to think about. Does anyone have any experience with the C12? Does it have enough power for general woodworkig? Is it really that good? Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the drills but my BIL just got the saw and he loves it.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I have the discontinued drill (don't remember the model offhand). I like it a lot. But the real proof is that my wife, the former porter-cable fanatic and finish carpenter, always grabs the festool first. She still prefers her Skil to the ATF 55, though.

I can't comment on this tool, but I finally broke down and got a C22 vac and the ETS 150/3 sander last week.

I am absolutely amazed! Excellent quality, quiet, sand for hours without sore hands, and almost zero dust. At 4X the cost of other options, I would definately do it again.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I've got the C12 and it is an awsome little drill. Lots of power for it's class and I mostly like the interchangeable chucks that come with it. I didn't think that I would use them all that much but I was wrong. So well balanced and extremely well engineered.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

I bought the 15.6 last year and I really like it. I'm only a hobbyist, though, so I don't know how it would hold up on a daily grind.

Gary K.

I had a Dewalt 14.4V drill/driver and right-angle 14.4v Dewalt drill. I replaced both of those drills with a Festool TDD12 (an older 12V version of the TDK). I didn't like the ergonomics of the CD so the TDD was the one for me. The Festool drill chucks give you a lot of flexability and makes a great system. BTW the 12V Festool has as much torque (or more) than the 14.4v Dewalt.

And since I was replacing drills I sold my vac (Fein) and sanders (Porter Cable, Dewalt) and picked up Festool replacements (CT-22, RO150, RTS400EQ, ETS 150/3 EQ)

I have the 12v TDK drill/driver and couldn't be happier...and if the C12 had been available when I was buying, I probably would have bought it. Power? Oh, yea...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Rob Will Guest

Different Feel?

I looked at some Festool stuff today at the local WoodCraft. I know I'm being old fashioned here but the Festool items feel awkward to me. The Festool quality is obviously great but the ol standby DeWalt and Milwaukee tools feel more natural in my hand.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    I looked at some Festool stuff today at the local WoodCraft. I know I'm being old fashioned here but the Festool items feel awkward to me. The Festool quality is obviously great but the ol standby DeWalt and Milwaukee tools feel more natural in my hand.
    Actually, that's important, Rob. Everyone's hand is different and if you are going to use a tool, it's gotta fit. That said, sometimes what feels awkward at first is just "unfamiliar". One test run may not be enough. Remember that you also have a 30 day money back deal with Festool, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is there a big difference in power between the three different battery pack or is the difference in the run time only?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post

Rob
    I have the C12 and all the chucks including the Depth Stop Chuck. The C12 is a great drill. Lots of power for its size and the chucks make it VERY flexible.

The C12 has a lot of features that aren't obvious. For example, what happens when a cordless drill overheats? With some drills, they just burn themselves out. Or, the hot battery goes into meltdown when you pop it into the charger. Do a Google on battery meltdown to see what I mean.

With a C12, if the drill overheats, it turns itself off and beeps at you when you pull the trigger. If you load an overheated battery into the charger, it detects the overheat condition, a light on the charger flashes red, and the charger waits until the battery cools down.

Regarding the feel in your hand, I agree with you. My Dewalt 18V XRP feels much more natural in my hand. That is until I start driving big lag screws. Then it starts feeling unnatural. Because your hand isn't in line with the torque, the drill tends to twist your wrist.

With the C12, it's normal to move your hand up to be inline with the center of the chuck. You pull the trigger with your middle finger. It gives you a lot better grip in tough conditions.

Or take the quick disconnect chucks. One of my favorite tricks is to put a screw bit into the CentroTec chuck (the little one) and a drill bit in the FastFix chuck (the big black one). Then I can drill pilot holes and then switch chucks to the screw bit in about 4 seconds. That may not sound like a big deal. That is, until you have to mount boards in a jig, drill pilot holes, and then screw the boards together. Thirty four times! I got the whole job done in 30 minutes.

Festool tools are pretty plain. Flat blue-black with lime green accents. But every lime green accent does something - triggers, speed switches, chuck adjustments. Form (including color) follows function.

The C12 is one great drill. It is by far and away the most used Festool that I have. I have used every chuck in ways that I never dreamed of when I bought it.

Oh, I forgot... What about my Dewalt 18V drill? It still works well. I let one of my helpers use it when needed.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s., if you're interested in the C12, check out my Depth Stop Chuck Review (with pics) in the Tool Reviews section of the Festool Owners Group. Just enter "festoolownersgroup" in your browser's address bar and it will help you figure out how to get there.

Come on over and ask questions. We're a nice friendly group and are happy to help anyone interested in Festools.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by joe lear View Post
    Is there a big difference in power between the three different battery pack or is the difference in the run time only?
    The difference is in runtime. I have the middlesized 2.4Ah NiCD battery and am pretty happy with it.

I've heard a rumor Festool is working on a Lithium version. I'm hoping that I can just upgrade the battery and keep my current drill.

Regards,

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Rob Will Guest
    We mostly use Dewalt 12V cordless drills because the higher voltage battery packs (on all brands) get a little too bulky for my preference.

Again, I'm sort of old fashioned but I like having multiple (less expensive) drills that all use the same battery pack. We carry the same Dewalt 12V drills in service trucks, at the farm shop, and at the wood shop. Errr....hopefully we have a nice clean one for the wood shop or taking into the house . Whenever we buy a new drill we try to take it the wood shop first. When it gets a little age on it or it becomes grungy from use, we send that drill to the farm shop or one of the service trucks. One unlucky 1/2" drill usually ends up with a 6" hole saw to be used down in muddy start holes when we are installing field tile. Read this SEVERE duty.

Another advantage of having multiple drills is that all of the chargers are alike and, all batteries are alike We can mix and match anywhere we are working without regard to what a particular battery fits. (Even our flashlights use the same 12V battery). When building a project, I usually have at least two drills on hand. One with a drill bit, the other with a driver. If I have a helper, we use both drills at the same time.

When the need arrises for an additional cordless tool, there's no reason to stop the employees while I search for something exotic. I just run in the closest Borg and buy any 12V Dewalt. It's quick and convenient to use common readily available tools.....and time is money.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Will; 06-23-2007 at 9:40 AM.

Buying an expensive tool is similar to buying an expensive car. Either will get you to where you want to go . Seems to be as many different cars as there is personalities out there. And your going to have the type of personality that likes to stand on the roof of the car and yell ,at anybody who listens, about how great their car is. Most of the time you get what you pay for.
    Me personally? I only have a few years till retirement so I'm buying top shelf, but there was times in my past where my budget dictated the cost of my toys.(tools)
    Gary K.