Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walnut Desk finished

Thanks for all the nice comments. I spent a lot of time trying to get the drawer fronts right. Must have spent more than a week (off and on) studying different woods till I got the look I wanted. When I show family members stuff that I do, they like it, but they don't realize what it takes to get the little things like the drawer fronts just right. Thats why its nice to have other woodworkers critique the work because you guys understand its the little things that make the piece. Thanks again.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick de Roque View Post
    Thanks for all the nice comments. I spent a lot of time trying to get the drawer fronts right. Must have spent more than a week (off and on) studying different woods till I got the look I wanted. When I show family members stuff that I do, they like it, but they don't realize what it takes to get the little things like the drawer fronts just right. Thats why its nice to have other woodworkers critique the work because you guys understand its the little things that make the piece. Thanks again.

Rick
    Rick - the desk is superb.......grain matching, panels, all of it!!!

How do you rough cut your lumber? I think you have great "vision" by the way you cut your own lumber.........getting the wood to talk from the beginning is nice when you can bring the grain out! I'm at the mercy of the lumber yard.... I take it home and plane it and then go from there.

NICE WORK!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    All the pieces look great Rick. I would like to see more detail on how you did the drawers, how you selected the bookmatch, and how the tree was cut and dried.

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall View Post
    How do you rough cut your lumber? I think you have great "vision" by the way you cut your own lumber.........getting the wood to talk from the beginning is nice when you can bring the grain out! I'm at the mercy of the lumber yard.... I take it home and plane it and then go from there.
    Roy Wall
    Roy and Rob,
    The drawers are lipped on 3 sides with 1/2 blind DT's at all 4 corners. I used Ash for the drawer sides and bottom. The book match was done after looking at about all the figured walnut I have, the when I found what I wanted It took awhile to get it to flow. The center is book matched to give it the fan look, then book matched the other two top drawers but turn them around which gives it better flow. Thats my thinking anyway.

After cutting the tree I have the trunk (straight logs) cut at the sawmill 4/4 to 8/4 but take figured (crotch) wood to a different sawmill that will let me help him so I can get the figure cut just the way I want it. Cost more but I think its worth it.I then dry it in the backyard. My wife is very nice to let me do it.

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

That's some beautiful craftsmanship. The grain selection is excellent...it has a very elegant appearance. A very stately piece indeed.

Well done!

-Jeff