Thread: Delta 15" planer noise

Delta 15" planer noise

Hi, I have just hooked up my X5 planer to my dust collector and it is exceptionally loud. It is quiet with the tubing all in place and the dust collector off but as soon as I open the blast gate the noise coming from the planer is very loud. No noise if planer is off. The noise is the same weather planing or just letting the machine run without wood. Anyone have any suggestions to quiet this down. Thanks
    Ross

How close is the blast gate to the planer. Experiment with moving it around, and changing the configuration of the piping. You may even consider an eduction vent near that particular machine.
    How big is that DC? I don't think I've ever read of anyone encountering "flow distortion" from a DC, and that sounds like what you are describing.

Same here ...

I have the same problem. The planer is loud to start with but becomes much louder when the dust collector is turned on. I noticed a significant increase in noise when I upgraded from a 1.5 HP dust collector to a 3 HP Super Gorilla. I'm running 5 inch lines to the planer.

I should mention that when I installed a Byrd head the noise level dropped significantly - almost to a comfortable level (but I still wear ear muffs).

-- Phil

My Thoughts

It sounds like you have a high velocity wind noise of air flow through the head of the planer. same concept as how a whistle works. I would guess
    that the factory would be a good place to start to find answers I'm sure you are not alone in this situation. Myself i would try tochange the airflow or any restrictions in its path ?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    My 15” Powermatic does the same thing. I think it is the nature of the beast.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hi Ross, I've got a 3hp General International 15" planer hooked up to a King Canada 2hp dust collector with 6" pipe, and I have the same problem. I guess it's just the price we have to pay for clean air, but if someone has any solutions, I'm all ears.
    Steve

It is the siren affect of the air moving across the moving planer blades. Just like Fereral "Q" on a fire truck!

CPeter

Adjust Chip Deflector

The noise is a result of the increased air flow and the chip delfector. Something to do with the airflow and the blades/chip breaker quickly passing eachother. From the factory the chip delfector is usually set close to the blades. This works best to get the chips into the dust port when you do not have a dust collector attached. But when you have a dust collector connected, you can move the chip deflector back away from the blade. The dust collector will effectively pull the chips out and not let them back into the outfeed or cutting zone.

My Jet 15" had an orange plastic chip deflector that sung like a reed in a tuba. Mostly, it just restricted the airflow. I took it out and upped the airflow as well as lowered the noise somewhat.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Same with mine

Everyone has to leave the house when you hook the dust collector up. I have tried cutting the air flow down but chips clog it up. I just bought a lunchbox planer to take outside when the house has people in it.

After reading Randy's reply I decided to remove the orange chip deflector from my 15" General planer, and was amazed at the noise reduction with the dust collection system turned on. Thanks for the great tip.

Steve

How does removing the deflector affect chip control?

CPeter

CPEter, Removing the chip deflector actually helps as it increases air flow. The factory deflector is used to guide the cut chips out of the machine when no dust collector or a very low powered collector is used.It just gets in the way when using a good dust collector vs a shop vac or letting the chips blow out naturally(anything 1.5 HP and larger or so should work fine) And it does quieten it down considerably....or at least lowers the sound by a few octaves
    Last edited by Randy Denby; 06-28-2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: spelling
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

I had the same problem with a jointer. I hooked it to a big chip collector which was pulling too much air past the rotating head. I modified the jointer so that some of the air going to the chip collector wasn't getting sucked past the rotating head, and it quieted right down.