Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McNaughton and Mustard--Question

McNaughton and Mustard--Question

It's time to order a McNaughton coring system. I've heard that the post is not long enough to set the height properly on a PM 3520. Is there any truth to this or is it an "urban legend" that was ill-informed? Kelton's website makes no mention of this, neither does LV or CSUSA.

If there is a special "long" tool post that I need to Mustardize this tool I would appreciate hearing about it before I order something only to find I can't use it.

Also, CSUSA appears to have the best deals. $399 for a standard/large combo set. Anyone found a better deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pruitt View Post
    It's time to order a McNaughton coring system. I've heard that the post is not long enough to set the height properly on a PM 3520. Is there any truth to this or is it an "urban legend" that was ill-informed? Kelton's website makes no mention of this, neither does LV or CSUSA.

If there is a special "long" tool post that I need to Mustardize this tool I would appreciate hearing about it before I order something only to find I can't use it.

Also, CSUSA appears to have the best deals. $399 for a standard/large combo set. Anyone found a better deal?
    Email Kel in Australia. You can get the address from his site. If the size won't work he can build a custom job for you. He did this on my Kelton Hollowing System. It takes a little extra time and you still have to order through a distributor but Kel will give you the scoop.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 06-26-2007 at 11:27 AM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Call CSU they have longer posts for the bigger lathes. They gave me the longer post at no charge.
    Mike Vickery

Like Mike, I also got mine from CSUSA. They provided the longer post for my PM3520B no charge.

It may take a little longer if they don't have it in stock but mine was available when I ordered.
    Dario

Yes, they will send you a post to fit your lathe. I found out that the banjo on the PM 3520B lathe sits about 1/8 inch higher than on the A model. For what it is worth, I almost never use the large set of blades on my PM. Main reason being that I seldom turn bowls that large because it is more of a specialty market. The medium set can core up to about 14 inches. I also use the mini set a lot, even though I don't turn many dainty things.

My DVD on using the McNaughton was going to be out by Portland, but I wasn't able to get it by then. I will be reshooting in August, and have it out by summers end. It is amazing how different things look on camera than they do in real life.

robo hippy

Thanks guys, I just spoke with tech support (Scott) at CS and he's taking care of it! He doesn't have the longer post in stock but said it will take only a couple of days. I ordered a set of Tower Jaws for my Talon too; I figure the McN will make me appreciate having them.

I guess this qualifies as a pre-gloat!

It's here!

The UPS guy put this coring rig on my porch today!
    DSC01651.JPG
    Too bad I don't have the day off tomorrow. I'll have to wait for the weekend to get this fella dirty!

Great gloat Mark. Let me know how it works. I have been looking at one myself. Just need to find out if the Nova DVR can pull it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sounds like Craft Supplies took care of you. Greg Jenson, the North America rep for McNaughton can also get one for folks who don't happen to purchase from Craft Supplies.

Congrats Mark Looks like a lot of fun is in store for you
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Smile McNaughton coring

Congradulations, Mark, you will enjoy using the coring setup on the good woods, saving a bunch of saw dust/shavings. I've had one for a year , since Louisville last summer with the long post for my 3520B.

Now, Randy Privett at Monster tools makes a clamp for his laser light that fits this McNaughton handle making it double duty. The light follows the tip in the coring process.

Good luck

Jm Sample

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sample View Post
    Congradulations, Mark, you will enjoy using the coring setup on the good woods, saving a bunch of saw dust/shavings. I've had one for a year , since Louisville last summer with the long post for my 3520B.

Now, Randy Privett at Monster tools makes a clamp for his laser light that fits this McNaughton handle making it double duty. The light follows the tip in the coring process.

Good luck

Jm Sample
    Jim,
    That's good to know. I bought a Monster from Randy earlier this year. It may be that the clamp is all I need to make my laser work on the McN. I'll contact Randy about this. Thanks for the heads up!
    Mark

I have the laser pointer that McNaughton makes, and love it. Over years of using the McNaughton, I developed the habit of aiming shallow to keep from making lampshades. The laser hasn't improved my aim, but at least I know when I am off track and need to correct. Now I can aim for the perfect core every time. I did modify it by having it welded to the handle, rather than having it bolt on using the same set screws that hold the blade on.
    robo hippy

Looks like quite the system Mark! When you have the time - let us know what you think of it, ease of use, etc. Thanks!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

'nuther question

To those who have seen the Mahoney DVD on using the McN, is it worth the $25? Or is it something I'll just watch once or twice and stick it on the shelf? If the latter, I can probably do without it. But if there's enough content that I'll likely continue to go back to it, I may consider it. I'd like some opinions first though.