Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular Saw For EZ Smart System

Circular Saw For EZ Smart System

I just ordered the 100" EZ Smart system and now have decided to dedicate a saw to it. I'm looking for suggestions as to which saws work best. I see a lot of P-C 325MAG's but are there others? Plus I have read lots of pluses to LH circ. saws - will they work and are they better than a RH for the EZ Smart system.

Thanks

Saws

i don't think you can use a left hand circular saw with the e-z smart system. I was looking at that one, but decided to save up for a Festool for sheet goods cutting. Still saving.........

Mike, you might go to the bottom of the list of forums page, and touch base with the EZ folks. I seem to remember that it can be done, but may be limited to certain units? Not sure. There are lots of choices for RH units. I think the EZ site may have a list. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Mike,

You will probably get more responses to your question in the EZ Forum List. There are a few threads there which discuss this. You can use either a LB or a RB circular saw, but it depends on how you are using the rails. It also depends on if you are right haned or left handed.

Mike

Hi Mike:
    I recommend that you log on to the EurekaZone forum at the bottom of the manufacturers forums where you will find all the answers to your questions on types of circular saws and equipment. There are a lot of knowledgeable people down there on the use of the equipment and there accessories.
    Good Luck:
    Don Selke

Julius A. Dooman & Son Woodworking
    My Mentor, My teacher. "Gone but not forgotton"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lutz View Post
    Mike,

You will probably get more responses to your question in the EZ Forum List. There are a few threads there which discuss this. You can use either a LB or a RB circular saw, but it depends on how you are using the rails. It also depends on if you are right haned or left handed.

Mike

Sorry - never noticed the vendor section.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Sorry - never noticed the vendor section.

Mike
    Are you right or left handed?

Just gonna use the rail, just gonna use a Bridge setup, some combo of both?

Gonna always use a rail longer then your work?

Those will play a big part in answering your own questions.
    The hand, is the side blade you should get (right, right, left, left) Bridge setup only being the exception to the rule.
    Longer rail always and never in a hurry (aka brake not important).
    Budget (aka a mag325/424 verses a Hilti 267).

I'm a new EZ head so I'll attempt to answer this question. I have a DeWalt 364 and It does an amazing job with the EZ rails. I think any decent 6 1/2" or 7 1/4" circular saw with a 40 tooth Freud blade (~$15) will do the job. The EZ saw mount with anti-chip insert and the rails anti-chip guide are the key to making your saw hit its potential.

The $300 Hilti, the PC 325 and the new Makita 5007 seem to be favs. However, I'd say, if you have a CC, try it with a decent blade and then decide if you need more.

Oh, when breaking down 3/4" plywood, my DeWalt with $15 blade outcuts my old Delta contractor saw with its $80 blade. Its not even close.

Good luck,

Jack

Gosh, sounds like a commercial, but I really do like the EZ stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Morrow View Post
    The $300 Hilti, the PC 325 and the new Makita 5007 seem to be favs. However, I'd say, if you have a CC, try it with a decent blade and then decide if you need more.

Jack

Gosh, sounds like a commercial, but I really do like the EZ stuff.
    I want to point out it's the 5007MGA as there are different 5007 models.

If you buy the PC325MAG directly from EZ, Dino will mount a SmartBase on it and even modify the case so the saw will fit with the base attached. It's a little more than you can buy it yourself, but worth it.

Also make sure the base of the saw is large enough to work on the base of the ez guide it mounts to, I used a Skill saw for mine and it wasn't large enough, it works but was a pain to do.

Also think about buying another 24" or 36" rail, having two 50" inch rails makes cutting the 48" side of plywood a pain, where if you had a 24" rail you could add it to a 50" and it'd work just fine.

Also I wasn't to impressed with the T square and rarely use it anymore, always though I'd build a better one, but I've just learned to live with out it.

Does cut a straight line and that's what I bought it for...enjoy

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I just ordered the 100" EZ Smart system and now have decided to dedicate a saw to it. I'm looking for suggestions as to which saws work best. I see a lot of P-C 325MAG's but are there others? Plus I have read lots of pluses to LH circ. saws - will they work and are they better than a RH for the EZ Smart system.

Thanks
    Hi Mike,
    Few questions and we can find the "right" saw for you.
    A. Left or right handed? Or both?
    B. Panel cutting or solid wood? Or both?

C. Bridge or no Bridge on the horizon?
    D. Dedicated ripping and cross cut setups or portable setups?

The system works with all saws and routers.

What is the best saw for you?

Without the Bridge, go right if you're right handed.
    With the Bridge, go left if you're right handed and right if you're left handed.

YCF Dino
    Eurekazone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Makropoulos View Post
    Without the Bridge, go right if you're right handed.
    With the Bridge, go left if you're right handed and right if you're left handed.

YCF Dino
    Eurekazone.
    Dino,

Since I can't play right now, let me ask you a question. When you say right/left on the Bridge (or vice versa), I am wondering.

Since your system is bidirectional, and the Bridge has zero'ing knobs, can't you just swap it to the other side?

Trying to figure out why the swap.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    Dino,

Since I can't play right now, let me ask you a question. When you say right/left on the Bridge (or vice versa), I am wondering.

Since your system is bidirectional, and the Bridge has zero'ing knobs, can't you just swap it to the other side?

Trying to figure out why the swap.

Thanks
    Randal,
    You can use both saws with the bridge. I use both.
    The left bladed is better on the bridge because
    of the material feed direction.
    You want to have the finished piece, the stops, fence next to you,
    at your left.

With a right bladed saw, you can push the saw with your left hand to get
    all the ease of the system. Nothing to it, the cut is very safe but you know how the right hand likes to grab things first.

The idea is to get the best ergonomics.
    Working with a twisted back all day is only good for the chiropractors.

If you have a right bladed saw, push the saw with your left hand.
    This is only good for the Bridge.

I remember a while back the Worx Revolver was one of the saws of choice. Amazon has it on sale at this particular moment for $63.49
    http://www.amazon.com/WORX-WT431K-Re...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Just FYI
    Wes