Thread: Monster hollowing tool

Monster hollowing tool

Hey guys,

Recently I got the monster rig and thought I would say a few things. First, Randy Privett is a good guy to work with and he sells a good product. It's a real sturdy unit and I was able to get the thickness of my HF to 3/16 of an inch with the device. I probably could never get it that good by hand consistent through the HF without it. It has really upped the level of quality of the work. I am glad I got the setup and for those who have a hollowing system, you really know how much better it is on the back and shoulders.

One last thing, Randy goes above on the workmanship. I have a 3520B. Can you tell which one is mine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great Matt! I've only started checking into captured hollowing systems and so far the monster seems to be the way to go. If you have the time - how about a few pics showing it all set up and also a few comments about use. Thanks.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great gloat Matt !! You are right, Randy is first rate all the way !!
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Blog Entries
    Nice, very nice. How about a pic of the piece you made using it. Looks like a good quality tool. got any pics of it mounted on the lathe?
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Great gloat Matt. You are right. Randy goes above and beyond on service. He is great to deal with and has a awesome product. I love mine and my HF's have improved also.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Here you go.

I have one that is in the works. I may post it later.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a very nicely made unit! Of course, in that color, you'll never be able to tell if it's actually on your lathe or not...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm a big fan of the Monster hollowing rig myself. Randy makes great products.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Eddard View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Monster hollowing rig myself. Randy makes great products.
    X2! The quality of Randy's stuff is outstanding.
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    I wasn't born in the mountains, but I got here as fast as I could!

Nice looking rig! The way my shoulders are, I am going to be in the market for some assistance in this department.

As to monster tools, my experience was a little bit different. I bought a tool rest for my PM this year that was sent expeditiously and was an absolutely beautiful tool, but when I tried to insert it, it would not go. I mic'd the upright and found it to be .001 under the size of the 1" hole. I sanded and used steel wool for an hour or so to get the slide fit needed. As any machinist will know a .001 fit is a press fit and not conducive to moving an obect.

I emailed Randy with my disappointment in the fit thinking I would get a "sorry about that" , or maybe a "take care of shipping on the next order" or something to soothe my ire. No response.

Regards, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Trauthwein View Post
    No response.

Regards, Steve
    Steve,

I would try again. He seems like he backs his products pretty well. I have given him a chance to sell me something else and he suggested that I wait and see how what I have works out, so he didn't try to take me but I guess individual experiences may vary.

I bought the Monster Hollowing system as well and I am extremely pleased with the transaction and the product. I communicated with Randy before, during and after the sale and had a pleasureable experience.

I only wish I can use it more.
    Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Trauthwein View Post
    Nice looking rig! The way my shoulders are, I am going to be in the market for some assistance in this department.

As to monster tools, my experience was a little bit different. I bought a tool rest for my PM this year that was sent expeditiously and was an absolutely beautiful tool, but when I tried to insert it, it would not go. I mic'd the upright and found it to be .001 under the size of the 1" hole. I sanded and used steel wool for an hour or so to get the slide fit needed. As any machinist will know a .001 fit is a press fit and not conducive to moving an obect.

I emailed Randy with my disappointment in the fit thinking I would get a "sorry about that" , or maybe a "take care of shipping on the next order" or something to soothe my ire. No response.

Regards, Steve

Steve,

After reading this, I went back through your email file to find the email that you had sent me. I guess that it was deleted by mistake. Let me assure you that I try to go the extra mile for all my customers to insure that they are happy with my products, as many of the forum will attest to. If I had seen your email I would have answered you. If I understand what your saying, is that the stem on the tool rest was .001 undersize. Which is normal. The banjo tolerance should be; 1.000 +.002-.000, in this case the tool rest should have fit.
    I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with my company, but if it will make you feel better, the next time you order something, the shipping will be free.

Thanks.

Randy Privett

Tool Rest

Randy,

Thanks for your response. I am sorry I put this on the public forum without sending you another email. I just assumed (there is that word) you were to busy to respond.

I guess I have the odd man out in that my banjo is dead bang on 1.000. I was very please with the tool overall, though I find I am not a fan of the round tool rest. When I get ready for my hollowing system I will let you know.

Free shipping is not an issue just something I threw in the email to finish a sentence. Once again thank you for your response.

Regards, Steve