Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Kitchen Table

As always sir...excellant work. Simple but elegant is your style...and I love it.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Darrin and Zahid: The clips holding the table top in place allow for plenty of expansion and contraction, so that's not a concern. I'm curious about your suggestion of reorienting the boards. I've never seen this done in an expansion table before. If this were a trestle or a drop leaf table I would agree. But with an expansion table, I don't think it would look good to have leaves mating at their end grain. I think it would call attention to the fact that the grain doesn't match. To me, that would be unsightly. Perhaps you could explain if I misunderstood seeing as how you both thought it should be done this way.

Joe: I use my garage to spray which is the same place I do my woodworking. I just cover everything up and go to town. I rub everything down with steel wool between coats as needed. I use a cheap Porter Cable hvlp gun that I got a number of years ago. I replaced the plastic cup with a stainless steel one. I haven't seen any need to upgrade at this point. If you have a small air compressor, you might need something bigger. I used a small pancake one for quite some time, but when it couldn't handle the bigger projects, I had to upgrade.

3. Nice table! u did a good job on it.

Another great piece Jason. Congrats. Best regards, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Jason,

This is a gorgeous table and very timely as I have cherry acclimating at my house for clients dining table. The color is gorgeous. I did let my client know that they shouldn't leave placements on the table round the clock... so they don't get any squares on their table. Will they leave the leaves in all the time? What do you think about them not aging the same pace? (storing the leaves in a closet and having the table out in the open).

Great work.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I never pass by a Tuinstra post and I’m never disappointed. Beautiful work, again.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great looking table. Just as a price comparison I purchased a very similar Ethan Allen table about 12 years ago for $1,000. I'm sure yours is a better table and given inflation your client should be very happy.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Jason, you kick butt dude!

Ever since I joined SMC, I get so motivated looking at your posts/pictures. Your Shaker furniture is outstanding. From the execution to the finish. Highly motivating for a rookie like me, since you started woodworking only 10 short years ago.

I just found one of your Shaker cabinets in the back of a Fine Woodworking Magazine this morning and then this evening, I find this post. I have it in a stack and don't remember the month, but it was in there for sure. I am one of those guys who rips his magazines apart every 6-12 months or so and saves what he wants in a labeled file and discards the rest. I save all of the Gallery shots in the back of the magazine and I believe you've been in there twice, but once for sure. Again, great job Jason and thanks for the motivation.

I look forward to your next project. Until then, carry on sir!

Dave
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Jason,

That's a beautiful table, thanks for sharing.

Pete

Jason, the table is beautiful. I really loke the look of cherry. It's becoming one of my favorite woods.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Jason,
    Wonderful work! Really well thought out in every way!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Thanks everyone for the kind words. You all are very generous!

Gail, I built this table for a family of three - the table with no leaves seats 8. The wife wanted the leaves "just in case" which I totally understand. The whole time I was sanding, though, I was thinking, "Man, all this work flattening these panels just for her to put them under the bed never to be used!"

Their room is not big enough to keep the leaves in, so they'll always be a bit off from the rest of the table's color. I guess that's just the trade off with using cherry.

Jason outstanding work as usual (still working on a shaker tin cabinet of my own - will get there one day). You guys are lucky to have that beautiful cherry over there, costs me an arm and a leg for a few boards.

Jason

I have been wondering what you have been up to, and as usual it is fantastic! I appreciate looking at the beauty and simplicity of your workmanship.

I really wish I could spend more time in the workshop/garage, but for some reason I seem consumed with other things. Just finished work in our bathroom; some sheetrock replacement, new tile floor, baseboards, and painting. (Had to paint it three times....my 'pale yellow' turned out DeWalt YELLOW...sigh)

Again, my friend. Just beautiful. Your pilot friend will be pleased for years to come.

My best to you and your family.
    Warren

Brett: Good day! I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of good OZ wood or some of that fancy Kiwi wood - I forget the name of it right now but it has a nice cherry color to it. I remember seeing it there when we visited. Nothing like the real thing though

Warren: good to hear from you again. Hope you and your family are well. We're leaving on a three week vacation in about 20 hours so the shop will be closed for a bit. Sounds like you've been busy though. That's the kind of work I'm no good at. I'll stick with furniture... for the sake of my house and future resale.