Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guess it's my time to trash the NEW HD!

Steven, it's ok to dissagree, but, this was the STORE MANAGER and, I believe, the CEO of HD said, on this site, several months ago, that he was hired to get their problems with customer service corrected! Why wouldn't the MANAGER know how to write up a discount ticket. I work at Woodcraft two days a week, part time and know how to write up a discount, to take care of a customer. My complaint WAS NOT because of the swap. That was the thing to do!

#2. Since he knew that it required his ON SITE appoval, why couldn't he be more customer friendly do the sale at the cash register at the service desk, where he wrote the discount slip and we were standing. When I've had similar discount requests, they are handled right then and there, at the service desk, including Lowe's and Menard's. (BTW I don't like Tony Steward either, but that's not a reason not to do business with Lowe's)

Also, I would not have been so unfriendly, if it had been the first time. However, it has been this way since the day they opened the doors some five years ago.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

With the recent rash of "not satisfied with HD" threads, I am pleased to see folks swearing never to return.

That is really what it takes. Simply complaining and continuing to patronize them will simply encourage and perpetuate the problem....and the resulting inevitable disappointment.

The Borg business model is predicated on the ability to offer somewhat lower prices on most things coupled with minimal and consistently lame service. That is simply what we can expect there. And it continues to amaze me that so many of us really do continue to expect more, despite the evidence.

Better service typically comes with a price. One simply has to acknowledge that, and patronize those who have a reputation of offering competent and consistent and sincere service. If that happens to be a local HD, so be it.

I still go to HD from time to time, but I don't have any expectations whatsoever concerning service, product availability, fair treatment or competent management. I have the neither the time, the patience nor the temperment to mickey-mouse around in such an environment simply to save a few dollars. Fortunately, other options still remain.
    Last edited by Roger Bell; 06-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bell View Post
    ...Better service typically comes with a price...
    Not always true, read this thread to see what I mean.

Bruce,
    I may have been a bit harsh in my response, and for that I apologize. Like you said, we have the right to disagree.

I just feel that it is so difficult to find anyone in stores these days willing to even make an effort, that if I find someone who understands something needs to be fixed, and is willing to fix it, I don't mind so much if it takes them a little while or they have to figure out how to do it. But you're right, if he is the store manager, he should know how.

Also, I gathered from your original post that you threw some off-color words as you left the store. I just really feel that people shouldn't do that in public, and I feel that we should treat people with respect, even, if it isn't reciprocated.

Anyway, no worries...

I just had to put my two cents in the pot. I have been to Lowe's two nites in a row and I was very impressed. It was clean, well lit, signs labled every where, and the service was excellent. Every employee looked me in the eyes and asked me if I needed any help.
    I had to go out of town because all we have in this area is a dreadful Home Depot. This miserable excuse for a store is dirty, lousy signage, employees that either hide or turn their head when you aproach them. We are going to get our very own Lowe's later this year and it is only 5 minutes from my house. Boy, I'm gonna be a very happy camper!!!!!!!!
    Gary K.

6. WOW. Sounds like the Borgs nearer the city. Where I live the BORG has very knowledgeable people and they really do try. Back when I was willing to enter the local Loews I found the people eager to help but incompetent so the result was a friendly worthlessness.

I wonder how much of this is store manager specific

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    WOW. Sounds like the Borgs nearer the city. Where I live the BORG has very knowledgeable people and they really do try. Back when I was willing to enter the local Loews I found the people eager to help but incompetent so the result was a friendly worthlessness.

I wonder how much of this is store manager specific
    All I really want is a place that's friendly and can point me to the right aisle. I usually do my homework before I go because I can read the labels as good or better then the employee's.
    I just like a good clean, well lit , well stocked place with somewhat friendly people. Life's too short to have lousy shopping experiences.
    Gary K.

If possible....

You should have gone to your local Mom and Pop Hardware store or local Mom & pop lumber yard to begin with. Support your community by keeping your money in the community.

Is it just me or do light bulbs from places like Wal-Mart and other Borgs not last as long as light bulbs from the past? just ponderin.....

I had an employee here in Oak Harbor show me on a Friday afternoon the paper work for for display set up for employees for a sale on a battery powered Ridgid tools set that was supposed to start on a Saturday morning so I came in Saturday morning & no tools were available.

So I purchased Ryobi tools in just what I wanted & left. I am not sorry I did either. I have always thought HD was giving Ridgid the shaft on most of their business. I don't like the relationship between the 2 companies. I have run into this problem with them before of not having what they said they would have of Ridgid products or not being able to find them or not being displayed when they should be or not knowing anything about a sale that was advertised.

The only Ridgid product I have is the MSUV & it is probably the only Ridgid tool I will ever have because of HD's treatment of Ridgid. I don't want a tool with a motor from Ridgid because of HD treatment of Ridgid.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    If possible....

You should have gone to your local Mom and Pop Hardware store or local Mom & pop lumber yard to begin with. Support your community by keeping your money in the community.

Is it just me or do light bulbs from places like Wal-Mart and other Borgs not last as long as light bulbs from the past? just ponderin.....
    Joe,

Well, not always possible. The "mom and pop" lumber stores I know close at 5:00 PM and are not open on Saturday. The local plywood dealer is now part of a small chain and they really don't want to sell less than 20 sheets. And, they are much higher than HD/Lowes. I like going to HD/Lowes at 9:00 PM on Thursday or Friday night to get supplies for the weekend.

Are HD/Lowes perfect? Nope. Usually service and knowledge is the inverse of price and convenience.

Just one guy's opinion,

Jack

As I've said before, there's nothing I hate more than, "The comptuter won't let me do it".

Bottom line is big box stores are a fact of the times. They have good points and bad. As mentioned, I can't go to a mom & pop store if they're only open when I'm working. I can usually get what I need from a BORG. Sometimes I get good service, sometimes I don't. Thems the facts.

Steven, I'm sorry. I should have been more clear about how I explained what they could do with the lamps.

I learned a long time ago how to chew someone out without uttering one single "cuss" word. Those who resort to profanity are seriously lacking in education and I feel sorry for them.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Lowes Too

Bruce, I went to Lowes to see if they could match the price of a Jet Air Filtration system that was at Rockler for $229. First off the employee and manager never heard of Rockler. Secondly an employee walking by had to explain that Rockler is a few miles away.

The guy said that they don't carry it. I said that the Lowes website had it there. Could they order it. He looked it up,called the manager and said that THERE cost was $230 and they couldn't sell it too me. I said what happened to price matching.

He told me the manager was on his way. I also had a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. Well the manager came- approved it and told me to present the coupon to the cashier. I went to order it and they said the coupon was not able to be used.

I had three people waiting behind me- I said ya know what - I will drive the 15 miles to Rockler and just buy it today.

Went to Rockler - not a problem and they helped me put it in the car.......

I remember a store in Chicago named Handy Andy (gone) in AZ there was Home Base (gone) - Are Lowes and Home Depot next?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kalkowski View Post
    Bruce, I went to Lowes to see if they could match the price of a Jet Air Filtration system that was at Rockler for $229. First off the employee and manager never heard of Rockler. Secondly an employee walking by had to explain that Rockler is a few miles away.

The guy said that they don't carry it. I said that the Lowes website had it there. Could they order it. He looked it up,called the manager and said that THERE cost was $230 and they couldn't sell it too me. I said what happened to price matching.

He told me the manager was on his way. I also had a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. Well the manager came- approved it and told me to present the coupon to the cashier. I went to order it and they said the coupon was not able to be used.

I had three people waiting behind me- I said ya know what - I will drive the 15 miles to Rockler and just buy it today.

Went to Rockler - not a problem and they helped me put it in the car.......

I remember a store in Chicago named Handy Andy (gone) in AZ there was Home Base (gone) - Are Lowes and Home Depot next?
    Chris,

Call me stupid, but if Rockler had what you wanted at a good price within 15 miles, why are you trying to get a price match from a big box store?

Jack

One other thing that riles me is, whenever I go in to buy lumber, I can never find a cart or buggy for the lumber. They are all over the store with damaged merchandise in them that the employees put there. Sometimes, it takes me 15 minutes to find an unused cart. Also when I need something from an aisle, they have it roped off for one reason or another. The self-check-out lines are also a pet peeve. If you are buying say, paint in a spray can, the machine sends up a flag and an employee has to approve the purchase. HD is definitely one of the worst around. In fairness, they do carry Radiata Pine which is a beautiful wood. It was imported into Chile years ago from California and is a renewable resource as it grows at a very high rate. HD is the only one as far as I know that carries it.