Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiniMax bandsaw levelling feet/thread size

MiniMax bandsaw levelling feet/thread size

Ok, I've tried several metric bolts, but so far no match. I thought it looked like a 12mm, but neither coarse nor fine threads will go in. Is it 10mm? I've looked on MM's web site and the owners manual, with no luck. And I don't know if different models have different size requirements, mine is the E16.
    Ideally, I'm looking for something that will thread in from the bottom, that has an allen hex recessed in the top of the bolt so that adjustments can be made from the top. Any ideas? McMaster-Carr didn't show anything, and a quick Google search showed some nice devices, but none with the Allen wrench adustability. I will probably have to make my own, but prefer to have the vibration resistant feet that are available. TIA for any information or leads you can help with! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 06-27-2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim,

Several folks have used the Zambus Casters.....

Model AC-300S -- $35 each I believe but have RAVE reviews

THis casters show a M12 thread as standard but M16 by special order. I believe guys use the threaded studs that come with the saw for levelling; then just thread these casters below the saw to get mobil.

Did you not get any of these threaded bolts with the saw?

My guess is MM can answer the question and the Zambus Caster crowd here on SMC can help too.

Thanks Roy. Yes I knew about the Zambus castors. Looked at them a year ago. Very nice! I don't need the mobility, though. I really thought it would be in the owners manual, but it's not. I don't remember seeing any when the saw came, but honestly, that was two years ago, so anything is possible. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim, I can check tonight but I think my MM16 has a M10X1.5 thread.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Why don't you just call the Mini-Max office in Austin and ask them?

Bruce, if the bin was labelled correctly at work, the 10 is too small, just drops o through. The 12 acted like it would start, but it wouldn't go. Didn't want to force it and strip one end or the other, but it could be some paint in the threads. I'd appreciate it if you would look tonight.
    Dick, it's a matter of they being closed when I get home. Impossible to call from work. Barely time for lunch during lunch break. So I was hoping someone might know. If no one has it, I'll call down when I'm off a week from tomorrow and check. Jim.

Jim,

I just called and found out the bolts are the same for the MM16-20-24 saws. I will take one of the bolts down to the Borg tonite and get the exact thread/size match.

Roy, that is very nice of you, but you don't need to do that!!! Espcecially if it is a special trip. Let me try this 12 mm again to see if it is just paint in the threads. I really appreciate the offer. Jim.

Jim, I just got home and this is exactly what I have in my MM16:
    M12X1.75

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce. I tried the 12mm coarse thread again tonight, and it is very hard to get it to turn. I feel like I'm ruining the threads on the saw base. But it is definately not the fine threads. I'll try to find that exact bolt (1.75 the thread pitch right?) and try it. Thanks for looking it up. Jim.

Jim, it is a course looking thread. If you have calipers or a micrometer, it should measure around .466 diameter.

Andy Rooney

I do have a tap that I can loan you. I probably won't be abel to get it mailed untill Saturday AM though.

Andy Rooney

Jim, the foot is an 11mm, and to access/move it up or down you need a 6mm allen wrench. There is a hole at each corner of the E16 that allows you to access the top of the foot. Works quite slick, actually. Just watch cranking it too far as it will thread right out.

Craig
    The worlds first E16 owner.

Just took a foot out and checked and it is a 12mm. That is what I get for relying on a hole size checker made in China. Sorry.
    Last edited by Craig Zettle; 06-29-2007 at 4:11 PM. Reason: screwed up

Jim, now that Bruce has identified the bolt, go down to the local auto parts and pick up a 12x1.75 tap. Most auto parts places will have them for a couple/three bucks. (Heck, a whole 40-piece metric Tap and Die set is only about 30 bucks--- nice to have on hand for that every-once-in-a-while need).

Had the same problem on my 14" bandsaw, the *right size* bolt just didn't feel right when I tried to mount the fence. Turned out the threads just needed a little cleaning.

Might save you stripping the bolt and/or threads if the hole is just a little bugged up or dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I do have a tap that I can loan you. I probably won't be abel to get it mailed untill Saturday AM though.
    Again, thanks Bruce, but I do have access to taps from the mechanics at work. So please don't send yours.

OK, Craig is the first person to purchase an E16. He was our go to guy with questions early on in the frenzy of the few that were let out at the special introductory price...a couple hundred less than what Craig paid IIRC. They did make it right by you, though, didn't they Craig?
    So, an 11 mm. Makes no sense why they would do one BS different than everything else in the line, but it is a different saw. I'll go look for an 11mm coarse. Now where did they move that Ace Hardware store to? Thanks a bunch guys!!!!

And Bruce and Roy...you two are very special guys to do and offer what you have here. My hat is off to you and I thank you very much!!!
    Jim.