Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Deal New Shop

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Lookin' good! Is everything 3-phase, or just some items? Jim.

I went with 3-phase for the planer and jointer. Everything else is single phase. The price difference alone (3-phase being less) paid for the converter. Now I can add either single or 3-phase up to 30 hp continuous.

Frankly, it's gonna take a bit to get what's here up and running, but you have to have an eye on the future setting up a shop. Lesson learned the hard way many years ago.

2. Whadda mess!

Just as I was getting the tools pretty much set up, it became obvious that the 2nd story floor needed some serious support. So, all the neat and clean went out the window as we were beginning the electrical work as well.

If this post turns out, there will be another one following with the first power work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Here's the bridging pic: We went from about 17 pounds to 30 pounds of support upstairs with 3/4 ply and the bounce went away.

4. Turns out that Lowe's has a 100-Amp 'Shop Panel' you can get that already has some breakers in it, ready to rock when you are. This is the panel with the power into it. We were please to see a strong 240V at the panel, as the more voltage, the less the amperage draw.

Considering the cost of copper these days, we did go with aluminum wiring, but used the oxiding sealant to avoid corrosion.

The WMS rotophase is rated to pull 100 Amps, but upon measure (the instructions were WRONG) it only pulls 31 Amps.

More to follow if you're interested.

If you're going to store your wood upstairs, why not have your big machines up there to process it, with your assembly and finishing areas downstairs.

Much easier lugging componants down the stairs than pieces of furniture.

6. Talking

Brad:

Good question.

First of all, there is the weight issue. The jointer and planer alone weigh in at just under 1800 lbs each. You need a mill floor to hold them upstairs. Cement works. The other thing is that cool cement in contact with warmer, more humid air creates condensation and wood instability. So, the wood needs to be relatively dry 8 - 11% humidity, which is just about right upstairs.

With the upstairs being a Cape roof, I can put my lighting on the 45-degree walls for better sanding light and a lot more swing room for work. (Also warmer in the winter).

So the first floor is the milling area and upstairs is fiddling around with wood.

And, this is the way I have always done it, so why change now?

7. Just to keep up to date, things have bogged down a bit as they usually do in a big project.

Gotten most of the tools put together. Still waiting on the lathe which is back-ordered from Delta.

Final electrical work to be done tomorrow hopefully.

Got an estimate from an insulation outfit. Turns out they can insulate the building for LESS than it would cost me to buy the insulation itself. (They get the order).

The downers so far are:

The Biesemeyer fence is a tremendous disappointment. The table that came with it was warped in two directions No matter how you set it up, it is cupped and/or impossible to squarely fasten to the TS. I'd heard all the raves about it, but it is nothing to scream about. I'd prefer the older extruded aluminum Unifence frankly. It's light and much more flexible in use. That's an opinion folks.

The infeed table on the jointer has either a shipping gouge/casting greeble in it which is only cosmetic, but it is right in the middle of the facing of the table which I will see every time.

The fence on the bandsaw came without a retainer in it. Western Tool went to work on it for me. Delta replaced the whole fence, not just the retainer as they didn't have it listed as a separate part. Go figure. Delta ain't what it used to be, that is what I am finding out.

Good news:

Overall I am happy with what I am seeing come together. The final steps are to finish the power tomorrow. Then the insulation and DC installation and wind these babies up and actually MAKE something!

Pics to folo when we're there.

Jeff:

What is WMS rotophase?

9. The WMS rotophase takes single-phase power and generates a third leg, thereby creating 3-phase power in the shop.

Mine has the capacity to start 10 hp instantaneously, with 30 hp continuous running.

We get 'er running the other night and it is very quiet...then cranked up the jointer and planer which were also quiet.

This is my first shop on a concrete floor (others being in an old barn with a wood floor). Made the first test 'jointer' piece from a chunk of #3 pine and it is slick...and you can carry on a conversation while doing it.

Hope springs eternal...it is coming together!

looks like you got a good deal. joe strouse and the folks at Hermance are some of the best in the business.

have fun making chips!