Thread: Fine Woodworking's 18" Bandsaw review...

Fine Woodworking's 18" Bandsaw review...

Is it on the web anywhere? Or what issue was it in? Taunton wants $34.59 just to join their forum and read the article. Can't even tell if the information it contains is outdated at this point.

Yeah, I'm looking at upgrading from my 14" bandsaw, gathering info at this point, and REALLY wish I could attend the show in Vegas later this month. Be nice to see them all up close and personal.

Blog Entries
    Its from 2004. Bridgewood and Laguna Best Overall, Rikon Best Value.

Blog Entries
    You can also join FWW for about $5 a month. Make a list of everything you're interested in, join for a month and grab it. I do the annual and find it to be a bargain. If I was going to spend $1000 on a saw, $35 to do research seems reasonable.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

This review is just for one saw..... what a saw though.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_770.shtml

Another:2003

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_206.shtml

This is for 16" but should help.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_206.shtml
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 06-29-2007 at 2:05 AM.

That's a "funny you should ask" question, because I just received the latest Woodworker's Journal yesterday and they reviewed 14" bandsaws...

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/

There's nothing really on the website, but you could look for the magazine locally. I didn't read the article real closely yet, but they seemed to cover the various features.

Duh, just reread your post and see you're looking to upgrade FROM your 14", not looking for a 14". Never mind!

According to Ron Weaver the Laguna is highly regarded not because it merits it but because people are stupid and advertising works.

He did a direct same wood same cut type comparison with a MM to a Lagugna and the Laguna over heated and the Factory rep had to fiddle and stall to let the motor cool while the MM just did the cut.

He also says that Felder and MM won't use the Italian motors cause they over heat.

2004, eh? Thanks, Randy, that's kind of what I was wondering due to the recent thread here about Bridgewood/Wilke. Wilke Machinery's web site says they are "on vacation" until July 1st, and I couldn't find either Bridgewood or Wilke listed as participating in the AWSF 2007 show.

Yabbut, if the info contained is outdated, it's not good info. I have no problem spending cash to research a large purchase, just didn't want to throw the money away. Things change over the course of three years, brands make improvements, models are discontinued, etc...

Yeah, I read that review. Good info, but it dates back to 2003. Laguna now uses Baldor motors, according to their web site.

Tough to make comparisons without seeing the various saws in person, though. I did get a chance to look at a Laguna 16" at a customers house a few days ago, it's a couple/three years old, and built like a tank compared to my little 14" saw. The Laguna table's trunion assembly looked bullet proof, I'm wondering how Steel City, Grizzly, Rikon, and other brands of larger saws compare. (no comparison, different league?) Differences like that don't always show up when looking at web pages, and I don't want to judge a tool by it's price alone.

Dave,

If you can get to the AWFS even for just one day, you'll find it worth the trip. I know that all of the biggies will be there. Hubby and I will be there in the Woodworker's Supply booth and I know that Steel City and Grizzly and (I think) Rikon will have a large presence there.

And, if you'll be in LV on Thursday, join us for the Creeker gathering that night. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58067

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

You live in an area with lots of woodworkers, some of whom read SMC. Most woodworkers are happy to show off their tools. You might try publishing a "Can I come visit?" post, with the bandsaw models you're considering. With luck, you could go look at operating machines, hear real-world experience with them, and maybe even use them a bit. That's lots more than you'll get from magazine reviews or trade shows.