Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fein vs Festool filter design

Fein vs Festool filter design

Hi All,

So I'm looking for a shop vac for gathering up plane shavings and dust from hand sawing.

I've done the search here and gotten a pretty good feel for the quality of the festool and fein designs...but I'm still undecided between the turbo III and the CT 22.

I was about to go for the Fein, but am having second thoughts, due to the "better" filter design of the Festool. Specifically, the overhead filter that doesn't dip down into the storage bin, and the filter shaker that allows cleaning of the filter.

Does anybody notice filter-plugging issues with the Fein, due to the classic barrel filter design? I guess I could add a cyclone, but even then a filter shaker may help.

The only advantage of the Fein is the Ridgid/Craftsman accessory compatability and the extra 1/4" available hose (Fein comes with a 2and1/4" hose, whereas Festool only makes up to 2").

Thanks!
    Ray

For 'vaccuum' purposes I would get a Shop Vac or Rigid. I hvae the CT22 and love it, but it is a dust collector, not a vaccuum. For your application I do not think you would get the benefit from the high $$ vacs.

Just my $0.02

I can see your point James. I guess I just wanted to stick with the quietest models, because I live in apartment-style living and work at night sometimes with light-sleeping wife in the house. I also like these models because of their soft exhaust that doesn't spray dust everywhere.

I am not speaking from experience, but I hear the new rigid is quieter than fien or festool. May be worth a look

Raymond,

Hi.
    I have never used the filter shaker feature on my CT22, the filters dont seem to get dirty.
    Also, the stock hose on the Festool is smallish and will probably clog often with plane shavings. If you go with the Festool you may want the 36mm hose which is not inexpensive, so you should ask Festool if they would substitute the 36 for the stock 27mm hose.
    The Festool anti static feature really does work.
    Keep in mind the capacity of the turbo III is much greater than the CT22.
    The Rigid SNR will most likely be my next all-around shop vac due to it's all-around goodness at a very fair price, and it's made in Canada. I've had great luck with tools made in Canada, those folks know what they're doin'.

Good luck,

Pete

Raymond.

I've owned a Fein Turbo III for a few years now. It is primarily used with routers, and general shop cleanup. It is also used in the house, excellent vacums. I have never experienced filter plugging with it.

Rigid must have done something pretty spectacular with this new line of vac's they have out. I also own a Rigid wet/dry vac, but that thing is so loud it's painful. I wear earplugs and Mickey Mouse ears when I use it. It's also not as powerful as the Fein.

Fein vs. Festool

The Turbo II Fein I own has a 1.5 inch hose instead of the larger version on the Turbo III. Even on this smaller unit, the suction is phenomenal. I got the 1 micron filter accessory.

I have had the same bag on the unit for one year, and my wife uses it to clean our house as well as serving light duty in the shop. ( I do have a Dust Collection system (1.5 hp). So the shop vac is attached only one machine - the router table. The micron filter is suspended down into the cavity downwind from the bag and only needs a blast of compressed air once every 90 days or so.

I would guess you won't be dissapointed with the power or filter/bag capacity on the Turbo III.

Gary Curtis

Raymond,

I have a CT22. I use it with all my festools (sanders, router, saw, and domi). I also use it to clean the shop, and it also connects to the blade guard on my tablesaw. It also hooks to the locline on the drill press. Because you mentioned a cyclone I included a picture of my new Clearvue CV06 mini cyclone attached to the CT22. I hooked it up today so I cant commit yet on its performance. The CT22 works really well and the CV06 is really overkill but I couldn't help myself. As you can see the cyclone sets on the top and is bungee corded to the white handle so I can still move the whole thing around when needed. Looks kinda funny though.

~mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 06-29-2007 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. It was still a tough choice but I went with the Fein vac with HEPA filter and bags, for the lack of reported problems with plugging, the bigger hose (2 vs 2and1/4"), larger capacity, and cheaper price (don't have to buy a separate 2" hose).
    -Ray

I have the torbo III and it simply works. I use the bags and the hepa filter. I'm in the process of remodeling my home and what goes in the vac stays in the vac and is hands down the quietest vac I have ever used.
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

Raymond,

You will enjoy the Fein Turbo III. I have the Turbo II and CT22 and prefer the Fein. The Fein is quieter and comes with a longer, more user friendly hose.

Blog Entries
    Looks kinda funny though.
    It kind of looks like an R2D2 protype.

Let us know how it works out because I like the concept.

Even though I've made my decision and anxiously wait the vac's arrival, I have a few points for those who may stumble upon this thread in a search at a later date:

If I had any plans to invest in a Festool tool system in the future, I definately would have gone with the Festool.

Also, it is good to note that you can fit any vac with a variable-suction controller that is just a thing that hooks onto the hose and opens and closes a window to let air leak out. Not quite as cool as the electronic control on the festool, but would prevent the vacuum table effect on power sanders issue, when there is too much suction for effective sanding.

-Ray

Raymond I am torn between purchasing a Turbo 111 and CT22 and thanks to Peter I will look at the Rigid. I now now a 1.5 DC and thanks to a new remote contoller can keep it off more. I also have a loud 16 gal 6.5hp Shop vac. I would love to here you expand on your statement "If I had any plans to invest in a Festool tool system in the future, I definately would have gone with the Festool" I do plan to buy a Dominio some day. I now use a Bosch ROS with its dust canister which doesnt work great. I plan on switching it to a shop vac so noise level would be a factor. Unless I can convince myself the Festool sander will collect dust better than my Bosch why switch.

Henry,
    Keep in mind i'm not a festool expert - my only exposure to information about them has been in my search on vacuums.
    What I have gathered from my searches is that festool is ground-up designed for good dust collection. As I understand it (again, no personal experience), this "systems approach" design makes it for outstanding dust collection. As part of the "systems" approach, the tools work best with their vacuum. Examples of this include that the hoses link up appropriately, and for the sanders, the suction can be adjusted appropriately. I think you may have to buy a festool hose if you use a festool tool. I would just hate to spend over $300 on a vacuum only to buy a festool tool later and know I was close to the purchase price of a festool vacuum. But then again, maybe I'd like to keep a more traditional vacuum device like the fein and keep a festool as a true dust collection device for portable power tools.
    If you do a search on "festool" in the subject line of threads, you'll find all kinds of info on "is it worth the money," etc.
    Hope this helps.
    -Ray