Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw upgrade???

Table saw upgrade???

Good morning everyone!! Just thought i would throw this question out for all...next spring i plan on selling my craftsman 22114 hybrid, and going with full out cabinet saw. I believe i have narrowed it down between steel city, Jet and a shop-fox...i really like the steel city, but am kinda nervous about service parts for a company that just started...i have and love my Jet equipment, so they get the nod for my personal experience, and the shop fox i looked at looks well built and i can get a 5 hp 52" rt cut for about 1500...this purchase hopefully will last me for 30 years...anyone have personal experience with any or all of these? Thanks alot!!!

If you are considering Shop Fox, look at Grizzly too--they are the same company. And there are many, many Grizzly cabinet saw owners, and they are well known for thier customer service.

I am biased toward my sawstop, and will make just one arguement here. If you are tuly looking at a machine to last 30 years i would look at the SawStop or a powermatic. I know both are more expensive than the ones you listed, but IMHO both are much much better.....

Good Luck in you r decision
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

I've had the Shop Fox 3 hp for about five years now, and can't say enough good things about it. It's been absolutely 'bulletproof.'

Fit and finish are great.

Table has less than 0.002" variance overall, and the arbor has virtually zero runout.

The Shop Fox Classic fence is a very good copy of a Biesemeyer, and just as solidly built as the Biese, but has removeable/adjustable (via shims if you need them) faces.

In the five years I've had it, and I've used it a lot, it has NEVER needed to be adjusted/realigned. It's just been rock solid, dead-on.

I have no clue what dealer support is like - because I've never needed it!

I too have a Shop Fox at home. I have used a Unisaw (right tilt) and 2 PM 66s (left tilt) at work for nearly 40 years. The Unisaw gave way to the PMs in the fall of '75. When I bought one for home use, I looked at Delta, PM and SF. It was an easy decision. I have had the SF for nearly 5 years and it has done everything I have asked of it with ease. I would do the same today.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    I've had the Shop Fox 3 hp for about five years now, and can't say enough good things about it. It's been absolutely 'bulletproof.'
    Jim, I remember when you got it. Glad to hear you're still delighted with it! I'm still happy with my Bridgewood, too, that I got around the same time. Too bad about Wilke getting out of that business, though.

- Ed

All bulletproof saws in a similar price range. You might want to keep your eyes open for the new Delta offering this July as well. I'm hoping it will be a big improvement over the Unisaw which I own and love.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Thanks to everyone's inputs...i am probably going windown shopping this afternoon to look first hand...i would also like to see a jet cabinet saw, but the woodcraft near me only has saw stop and pm...and jet contractors saw...i like the way steel city does the table extensions...allows set screws to level the wings!!

You could purchase a North American made saw (General is made in Quebec).

I have the 650 model, really like it.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post

Fit and finish are great.

Table has less than 0.002" variance overall, and the arbor has virtually zero runout.

The Shop Fox Classic fence is a very good copy of a Biesemeyer, and just as solidly built as the Biese, but has removeable/adjustable (via shims if you need them) faces.

In the five years I've had it, and I've used it a lot, it has NEVER needed to be adjusted/realigned. It's just been rock solid, dead-on.

I have no clue what dealer support is like - because I've never needed it!
    Jay,
    I have the same saw that Jim does. (I got mine a few months ago). Jim is right on the money regarding build quality. Mine didn't require much adjustment at all right out of the box. I'm currently waiting for delivery of a Shark Guard / blade guard / splitter system. The guard along with a crosscut sled and out feed table have made the saw a real work horse for me.

Good Luck, let us know what you decide on..

Clint

I went and looked at the shop fox, delta and steel city, also a bit at general...i was really impressed with the quality of the steel city...it actually felt sturdier than the unisaw! Guess for the money i see it steel city, then shop fox. I know it is a bit more for the SC...i just really liked the feel!!! Seems like a top notch company too! Anyone else had experience with Steel City or their products? Thanks again all!!!

By all accounts the Sawstop is a superb machine. I can't recall hearing one negative comment about them from anybody that has used them.

But your comment about lasting 30 years got me thinking.

The cartridges are a proprietary product. What happens if Sawstop goes under, or moves on to newer designs and stops supporting the original design? Can you use the Sawstop if you don't have an unfired cartridge available?

This isn't a dig at sawstop; I hope I don't get flamed for asking what I believe is a fair question. Stationary power tools of the Sawstop quality are intended to last a lifetime or longer.

13. Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips View Post
    I am biased toward my sawstop, and will make just one arguement here. If you are tuly looking at a machine to last 30 years i would look at the SawStop or a powermatic. I know both are more expensive than the ones you listed, but IMHO both are much much better.....

Good Luck in you r decision
    They've been making some great tooling in McMinnville, TN for a long time.

I'm currently searching for a 66 myself. I like green.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Henderson2 View Post
    By all accounts the Sawstop is a superb machine. I can't recall hearing one negative comment about them from anybody that has used them.

But your comment about lasting 30 years got me thinking.

The cartridges are a proprietary product. What happens if Sawstop goes under, or moves on to newer designs and stops supporting the original design? Can you use the Sawstop if you don't have an unfired cartridge available?

This isn't a dig at sawstop; I hope I don't get flamed for asking what I believe is a fair question. Stationary power tools of the Sawstop quality are intended to last a lifetime or longer.
    I am going to assume that if SawStop were to go under (which I doubt based on the quality of the product) that they would release information on how to bypass the safety features in the event a cartridge was not available. If they did not someone on the net would...
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

I don't think anyone can question the validity of Tom's question concerning the future availability of the Saw Stop cartridge. I'm not being critical of the saw or the company. I'm just assuring him that he needn't worry about criticism for asking the question. My guess is that the market will determine to future availability of the cartridge. However if one cartridge fails to preform as advertised, the future of Saw Stop may be determined in a courtroom.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi