Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Photography by Jim Becker

Thumbs up Digital Photography by Jim Becker

Say Jim
    Is that really you?
    Nice article in Wood Online
    I just check my email and clicked on the story about Digital Photography and "low and behold", whose name appeared at the end of the article.
    I speed read it and got back here to post the thread.
    Will read it for "in depth" understanding later but it's good to know that we have a real celebrity in our midst.
    Looks good and knows something too!
    Cheers
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
    Say Jim
    Is that really you?
    I just check my email and clicked on the story about Digital Photography and "low and behold", whose name appeared at the end of the article.
    Daniel
    I guess my compter skills are lacking this morning - wanted to read it - but couldn't find it .

Daniel

How about giving us a link?
    Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
    Don

Say Jim
    Is that really you?
    Yea...that was me. I wrote that article for the lamented WOOD Extra! E-Zine last year. It's pretty basic, but should help most folks get started. Anyone really interested in this stuff should take a look at John Lucas' article in American Woodturner awhile back. (The JL in Cookesville TN, not the one with the woodworking web site) John, who wrote that article, is a pro photographer in his real life and illustrates easy and inexpensive ways to properly light small projects for "most excellent" photography. The lighting and background are more important than the camera or skill of the photographer. Get that right, and most pictures of our work will look great.

Ken, the direct link to the piece from the WOOD ONLINE newsletter is:

http://www.woodmagazine.com/default....___0___453___1

BTW, the WOOD ONLINE newsletter is a nice one to get...but you need to register for it. It's a twice a month email. It actually might be improper for me to post the link above...but I'm taking the chance since there are provisions on the site to email the story to someone.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-15-2003 at 6:46 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Ken, the direct link to the piece from the WOOD ONLINE newsletter is:
    Thanks Jim -saved it and will read it later. You know how I love to post pictures.

Bravo!

Yea...that was me. I wrote that article for the lamented WOOD Extra! E-Zine last year.
    Bravo!

_Aaron_

Thanks Dan for calling attention to the article. Nice write up, Jim. I'll go back and read it again.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Unhappy

I take pictures of my work also but I make them at 1200x 1600 res.Is there a way to reduce pictures that I already have to put on web? Thanks for any help. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stanton
    I take pictures of my work also but I make them at 1200x 1600 res.Is there a way to reduce pictures that I already have to put on web? Thanks for any help. Mike
    Just re-edit them locally to the size you desire and then upload them again with the same file names to replace the existing images.

Just re-edit them locally to the size you desire and then upload them again with the same file names to replace the existing images.
    Do you have suggestion on software to do this? I tried to resize a picture I took at the highest resolution (2592 x 1944) on my Canon S50 down to 640X480 so I post it here on the Creek. The result looked horrible. All kinds of artifacts and pixelation occured. I used the Microsoft Photo Editor program that comes with Office. I know, I know that what I get for using a Microsoft product , but it's the only thing I've got right now.

Wendell

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Wilkerson
    Do you have suggestion on software to do this? I tried to resize a picture I took at the highest resolution (2592 x 1944) on my Canon S50 down to 640X480 so I post it here on the Creek. The result looked horrible. All kinds of artifacts and pixelation occured. I used the Microsoft Photo Editor program that comes with Office. I know, I know that what I get for using a Microsoft product , but it's the only thing I've got right now.

Wendell
    Wendall - e mail me 1 pic and let me see what ya got.

Say Jim
    Is that really you?
    I speed read it and got back here to post the thread.
    Will read it for "in depth" understanding later but it's good to know that we have a real celebrity in our midst.
    Looks good and knows something too!
    Cheers
    Daniel

Thanks for the article

Way to go! Nice article, Jim! Or, now that you're famous, should it be: Mr. Becker?
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jim,
    Thats Great!!! Glad to see one of our guys doin' good!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

We knew him when!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/