Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday gifts

Smile Holiday gifts

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting to this forum, so "hello" to everyone out there. I have been lurking (reading postings) on this forum for several weeks and believe this is great resource for tips, product reviews, etc. I know that I've picked up a several ideas already and hope I can contribute something in return every now and again...

Here are photos of my latest project (assuming they actually show up). I built four walnut burl tables, three of which were holiday presents and we kept the fourth one for our house. Because of the different pattern in the burl, each table was unique and we had a difficult time choosing which one to keep. The top for each table was four way bookmatched walnut burl with ebony trim. The frame and legs were solid walnut with ebony shoes. I finished each table with several coats of garnet shellac, followed by top coats of wipe on poly from Rockler. I used a Compact 100 vacuum press for the veneering.

Time to check in on the little one (she's a week old today).

Cheers,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roger, WELCOME to the Creek, it is very good to have you aboard! Congratulations on the little one! Those tables are absolutely BEEEUTIFUL! Very nice design, and the Walnut Burl is gorgeous. Excellent work, the bookmatching and finish is outstanding. The Ebony accents really make the piece stand out. I can see where it would be difficult to choose which one to keep.............it must have been a challenge not to keep them all! Thanks for sharing your fine work, and I look forward to seeing more in the future. Again, welcome.........you will find this is a great place to share and gather information. The folks who wade the Creek are the best you will find...........GREAT bunch here!

Very nice Roger and welcome!
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Rodger, First welcome to the SMC, Second congratulations on the little one and Third that is one nice looking table. Between you and Dave Avery, these veneer tables are a work of art. As Kevin said these are a great bunch of people here. So sit back and enjoy.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Very sharp indeed. Love the figure in that burl. Oh, and a big hearty welcome.
    Jim Carpenter
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

Very Pretty Roger and Welcome to the Forum

Nice work Roger..... nice to see another guy showing off some veneer work. Welcome to the Creek. Dave.

Welcome to the Creek Roger

I'll just echo everyone elses comments- Welcome aboard, Big time Congrats on the new addition & WOW on the table. Gorgeous bookmatching (Is it just me or does it look like a big hairy guy to anyone else ). Fine workmanship - keep those posts & project pics coming.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Welcome Roger! I like the table. Todd.

welcome to the creek, what a beautiful table, I think I'd be happy to have the top to hang on the wall as art.

Hi,
    Congrats on the new baby, and I love the tables.

Ed

Roger,

Welcome to the Creek and congratulations on the new little one. The table is great. Is it just the light or is that a little inlay work on the bottom of the apron? A Compact 100 was my Christmas present and I am really looking forward to giving it a work out.

Bob

Outstanding table, Roger. The more of these veneer projects I see, the more I want to try one!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome Roger, wow!!!!!!!! do I ever like that table.

DK

Welcome to the Creek Roger! That table is just so beautiful. Where did you get your Burl veneer?
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1