Thread: how do you spray edges w/o drips

how do you spray edges w/o drips

I've been spraying 2# shellac, also known as "sanding sealer" made by zinnser, with my HVLP conversion gun.

I've been spraying shelves for a wall cabinet i'm making. The shelves are made from 3/4" ply with edgebanding applied.

I first spray all 4 sides and then the bottom, and then the top. When i flip to the bottom, there is always drips from the side spray, which I quickly wipe down with my finger. This works OK, but it's not a good solution. Same thing on the top, but now it's worse, since the shellac has had time to harden.

Do you use a seperate gun for the sides. How about using a brush for the sides?

This question would probably apply to any spray finishing, not just shellac.

Try spraying the edges first. I spray at about a 45 degree angles, sometime more straight on. I do all the edges then the surface.

Never have a problem with drips doing it that way. I spray the sealcoat too, but thin it some with DNA so if it was going to drip it should have.

Spraying to heavy is a big problem, I suspect that by spraying the surface first you are double coating the edges some.

Joe

FWIW, A lazy susan bearing on a piece of plywood with a bunch of brads is a great way to finish doors, shelves and other flat objects. Mine is attached to a 2x4 in a bucket of concrete.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

If you have drips, you have too much material on...

Shellac dries so fast that there is no reason to put it on heavy. A very light coat will dry in minutes, so you can just keep shooting more coats for more build.

Also, especially with the first coat or two of shellac, you don't want a "wet" coat--most woods will soak up much of it. Just let that happen, don't go for an even sheen with that first or second coat.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

jason, joe

it sounds like i'm spraying too heavy. i was wondering if folks used a seperate gun for edges, but it doesn't sound like it.

Jason, your right about going heavy. On the first coat I use a 1# and it seems to go OK. On the 2nd-plus coats, I'm putting it on wet. I'll have to be more patient and put on more lighter coats.

When your spraying shellac, do you put on several light coats per piece instead of one-coat-at-a-time? It seems like I could. I'm just trying to learn the most efficient way to do this. Thanks alot for reviewing my post.

- Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny King View Post
    Do you use a seperate gun for the sides.
    When I spray, I typically have 2 guns set up. A touch-up gun for sides and smaller details and a full size gun for large flats.

Like someone else already mentioned, I spray the edges first and then the flat. I then let it dry and spray the opposite side.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

You can use the one gun for the whole job. However, you have to adjust the gun for the edge. Adjust the width of the fan so it is a little wider than the edge and adjust the amount of product coming out accordingly. When adjusted correctly, one pass over the edge is all that is needed. Readjust the fan and paint flow for the bigger wider surfaces. Have a scrap board handy for this, or alternatively you can test it on your workbench like me.