Thread: Setting up shop, have a planer question

Setting up shop, have a planer question

For us guys on a limited budget (and that's most of us right?), what do you do when you realized you need a planer?

I was thinking of trying to just use hand planes. But I'm not even sure this is possible. What do most people do? Do you use a power planer to get things to thickness and then just finish sand?

Or is it possible to use a hand plane and get edge-glued boards to a uniform plane?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob Horton

Rob, while I can not give you an answer to your question, let me welcome you to the Creek.

I'd also like to point out that the Creek requires user names to be your actual name. If you contact one of the administrators/moderators, they can help you update your profile.

The Creek is a great source of information and I'm sure you'll find the varied backgrounds and experiences of it's members are very helpful and you should have several solutions to your question in no time.

Again, welcome. Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 01-15-2004 at 7:22 PM.

You've entered Neanderthal Haven, so the only appropriate answer to your question in this forum is to use hand planes.

Pam

I think a planer is essential...and I love hand tools. A planer insures every thing is uniform thickness. The smaller Delta, Dewalt are very good and not that expensive.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyWoodworker
    For us guys on a limited budget (and that's most of us right?), what do you do when you realized you need a planer?

I was thinking of trying to just use hand planes. But I'm not even sure this is possible. What do most people do? Do you use a power planer to get things to thickness and then just finish sand?

Or is it possible to use a hand plane and get edge-glued boards to a uniform plane?

Rob Horton
    Just like I use a 26' Lucas sawmill to mill logs instead of a pit saw, I think you will find the Grizzly 12" thickness planers and 6" jointers an asset for your early work. You can always sell them and trade up later.

Their heaviest duty 12" planer (I forget the model #) is an excellent portable machine many of my contractor buddies like...as is the Jet equivalent. Well within most modest budgets.

Don't worry about Neander comments ribbing you...hand tools will always be best for that final fit and finish you'll never get with a machine, but hogging bushels of rough-cut shavings with them for "by hand's" sake alone will train your muscles but will only teach your brain so much after you've done it that way a couple times.

And while you're at it, gander at my articles on rehabbing old Ebay tools in a modest shop...those of you who are either frugal by habit or because of a growing family can get the most bang for your buck rehabbing pre-war hand tools....

...I wrote them with you in mind.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Rob Horton
    It's perfectly posible to use just hand planes to dimension and joint boards. It's the way I do it all the time as I don't have a power planer or jointer. If you intend to do a lot of it I'd go for a powered option as it's not light work work. If you want to have fun and get fit at the same time the hand plane only approach is a great option. You'll probably want to finish with hand planes anyway after the power work.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, and for the warm welcome! I'm excited to be a part of the forum here. (And now, I'd better figure out how to update my profile before I get in trouble).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I think a planer is essential...and I love hand tools. A planer insures every thing is uniform thickness. ...
    Mark, I've used planars extensively; and I attest that the way to insure snipe, tear outs, and gouges is with a planar. Oh, yes, and a lot of dust, tedium (got to do it gradually, time after time), and noise.

Pam

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    (And now, I'd better figure out how to update my profile before I get in trouble).
    If you will either e-mail me or PM me with your real first and last name I will get your registration information update accordingly.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.