Thread: Steel City Cabinet Saw

Steel City Cabinet Saw

I'm in the midst of deciding on which saw to buy in an upgrade. I know there's a thread going on this and didn't want to hijack that thread. I also don't want to beat another dead horse on comparison shopping, but I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Steel City 35640, the one with the TiN coating, the PM2K or the PM66. I know the principle differences and the long reputation of the PMs, but don't have much more info on the SCTW stuff than what's on their website and the very brief reviews from observations in the mags. The PM66 seems the safest bet wrt build quality and track record, the PM2K has some some interesting features -the riving knife, and the SCTW has gotten alot of attention for their approach in design. My price point is around 2k, so that leaves the SawStop out. I haven't been able to

In searching through the forums, I'd seen a couple of folks mention that they have gone with the SCTW. The SCTW option seems particularly good now as they're offering alot of saw for the money. Of the SCTW owners, has anyone picked up this particular saw or can anyone comment on their reasons for picking SC? Is there anyone that had a similar choice and went with one of the PMs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You may want to sit tight a couple more weeks, rumor has it that Delta will be introducing a new Unisaw at AWFS week after next. Pure speculation at this point but have heard that it will have digital angle and height readout built in....thus the "Countdown to Precision" banner on their website.

Digital readouts might be nice for a bevel, but nothing beats a bevel gauge or sqaure for accurately setting up a tablesaw. Could be nice if calibrated correctly but don't go out of your way to get them.

Whatever you get; get something with a european style Riving Knife. I won't rip on a tablesaw without a spiltter. The EU riving knives are much better as they don't get in the way, and you don't have to remove them for non through cuts.

You might also wan't to look at the used market. Probably the best cabinet saw I have ever used is an old beat up Delta Rockwell with original fence, and new motor. The thing runs strait and true and very smoothly. The fence, while lacking an accurate scale, is better than a unifence. This saw is better than a newer Unisaw that is in the same shop.

Lately I have been doing things the "EZ" way.

I can't really help you, I do have a steel city and it is a great saw. I have no complaints. At this point SC may be a little harder to get accessories for because they are so new. Not all retailers carry the zero clearance inserts for example. I can assure you, the SC's or PM's will do you proud. SC is a little cheaper is the only advantage I see and that may not be an advantage for you.

Can someone direct me to info on riving knives? I hear a lot about how great they are, I've have never seen any on a saw.

By the way, I have had my SC about 6 months, the splitter and blade guard are still on it. First saw that I have had that I have left them in place. I am getting use to them. Fact I am thinking an after market guard for better dust collection. Like a shark.