Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Turned mallet commision

Wanted: Turned mallet commision

OK you turners, I'm building Das Bench ( the Bench) which is on another thread. I would like to commision a custom turned mallet for my new bench and I do not have a lathe.
    I'd like some suggestions on materials suitable for a mallet for handwork., chopping dovetails etc.
    I have a English oak mallet, but you guys have some really exotic stuff ,and I'd like something really different.

Anyone interested?

Maybe some Texas Ebony! It is hard as nails and looks great! Lignum vitae would be great too if you could get your hands on some. Both these woods are very dense, hard and heavy. Would take a pounding relatively well.

But unfortunately I am out of pocket for about the next 2 months soooo I can not turn for you. Also turning into a NAVY idealist. (never again volunteer yourself) Too many irons in the fire so I have to pull some out.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

A good mallet is very personal - meaning that the shape, weight and the size of the handle are very much a personal preference. It's hard to get the right one the first time. What you might do is get someone to make you one from cheap wood - maybe some glued up maple - then use it for a while and see how you like it. Then, you can have one made from expensive wood.

Eventually, you'll probalby wind up with several mallets of different weights that you use for different things. For example, for carving I use a fairly light mallet but prefer a bit heaver one for dovetails.

The problem with mallets is that the wood delaminates from the pounding. Some wood will last longer but almost all of it will eventually break down. What I do is leave the center marks on the head and handle so I can put it back into the lathe and sand the face down when it gets really bad.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Mike, that's good advice. I wish now that I had bought a lathe years ago, as it's a whole different area in woodworking that I have zero expierence with but I have it on my list of things to learn.

Hi Rob,

If you will send me the details about what you want, I'll turn it and mail it to you.

Well Robert, I double dog dare you to post your address and just see how many mallets end up on your front porch. This group goes about half crazy over the chance to make a "bonker".

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Well Robert, I double dog dare you to post your address and just see how many mallets end up on your front porch. This group goes about half crazy over the chance to make a "bonker".
    Especially when the bonker requires two turnings attached at 90 degrees to each other!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mallet

I agree with all the above advice, but-- Why miss out on a chance to practice turning? I have about 5 mallets, mostly because I got tired of searching for one when I needed it. That is an excellent practice project, imho.

Ok, don't laugh please. I've made a couple mallets from bowling pins. They are hard maple and stand up pretty well. The only problem is, they aren't the older solid wood style, but the newer glued up variety. I use mine all the time, but I don't use them for like carving and such, just as shop bonkers.

You can get old pins from your local bowling alley, they just throw them away. If you do get some, make double sure that you use your face shield especially when you get down around the middle where the ball always stikes. It's usually all splintered up.

Have fun.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

I have a few mallets myself...several carver type (turned single piece) and the carpenter type (rectangular/trapezoidal head w/ separate handle).

All of them are made of lignum vitae and though admittedly I seldomly use them...I know they will last me more than a lifetime even at average normal use.
    Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Since you had to put it that way..
    I will be happy to pay for any mallet that I recieve. I am really curious to see just what you turners can do and what you make it out of. I'm getting very close to finishing my new bench and I'd like a nice mallet that I can use for carving and dovetails. Mike is making one for me in maple and I appreciate that very much.
    If you would like to make one for me for Das Bench ( I'd like to pay for them) you can send it to me at:

Robert Miller
    1338 Mayfair Ter.
    Ft. Myers, FL 33919

Come to think of it, how about a little contest where I post the entries and you guys vote on the winner?
    The winner will recieve a Lie-Neilson leather chisel case.

Try giving some info like preferred:
    max diameter,
    Length,
    weight,
    etc.

If you can, try giving also an idea about your grip size for the handle diameter.

This will help anyone who wants to make one for you a better chance of producing a better fit mallet.
    Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano View Post
    Try giving some info like preferred:
    max diameter,
    Length,
    weight,
    etc.

If you can, try giving also an idea about your grip size for the handle diameter.

This will help anyone who wants to make one for you a better chance of producing a better fit mallet.

Thanks, I will do so as soon as I get home from the office.

Another thing is if you have (or can find) a picture of what shape you like (or appeals to you)...post that too.
    Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano View Post
    Another thing is if you have (or can find) a picture of what shape you like (or appeals to you)...post that too.

I'm open to the design.

This is nice........