Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice on band saw purchase

need advice on band saw purchase

I went out and bought a ridgid BS1400. I assumed since all my other ridgid tools are of decent quality that this would be too. Boy was I wrong! It shakes washing machine with a blanket in it. I taped pennies to the wheel and it helped some. Readjusted everything and it helped some more. Still won't pass the nickel test. I will be returning it on monday.

So my question is - What band saw should I buy?

I have researched the Jet 708113A and the Delta 28-276. These, much like the Ridgid are manufactured in Taiwan and all three saws seem to be clones of eachother. I looked at the Grizzly G0555 and the Rikon 10-320, 10-325, and 10-345. I can't really afford Laguna or PM. I like the Griz and the Rikon 10-320 because they have ball bearing guides and a full one HP. Both are in the $450 range. The Rikon I can get locally. I'm leaning toward the Rikon in the 1 HP/$450 range. Now if I step up to the Rikon 10-325 I get 1.5HP plus 13" resaw AND it come with a fence and work light. The saw costs $750. If I really loose my mind there is always the Rikon 10-345 with 18" cut 12" resaw and 2HP, which the guy said he would sell me for $999. But that a little more than I want to spend.

If I decide to step out of the $450 range I will probably get the Rikon 10-325.

Am I going down the right path? What other options have I missed. (American made Delta?)

Please give me some advice before I make another mistake. Fortunately my first mistake can be remedied by returning the BS1400.

Nice to meet everyone -

John

Last time I was on the Bibb Tool web site they were offering free shipping Shop Fox band saws, which are the same thing as Grizzly. Might be worth investigating.

I ordered a Shop Fox jointer from Bibb Tool last month and was very happy with the process.

I just got the Jet 14"OS model. Jet is running a special (see their web page) and Menards matched the price. If you can find the closed stand model at a good price, I'd recommend it for the stronger motor.

Every review of the Rigid I have seen mentioned excessive vibration. The Jet is smooth and seems well made.

The few Delta's that I have seen locally have been abused in shipping. I had to return a small one to Lowe's because of shipping damage.

The Jets seem like good value. There are better saws, but it is just a matter of how much you want to spend. The riser kit for the Jet is not much money, if you want the extra capacity.

I have the Jet 14" closed stand, its a nice machine. But if I was to do it again I'd step up to Rikkon 10-325.

BTW, I bet your Rigid vibrates due to flat spot in the belt. This is pretty common with imported tools and is easily remedied with a link belt, or at minimum just turn the machine on and let it run for an hour or so to break the belt in. My Jet bandsaw shook like crazy when first assembled, but runs smoothly now that the belt is broken in, though not sure it would quite pass the nickle test.

I just can't see spending money on after market parts for a brand new saw.

John, I’m not sure this is relevant, but I bought the little 10” Rikon to supplement my MiniMax and was impressed with the quality of the machine.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Got the Rikon 10-325 and...

...no disturbing vibration. Set it up with a "Woodslicer" blade from Highland Hardware. Only ran a few test cuts so far but no regrets. Really like the large cast iron table and fence is no slouch either. Seems like welded steel frames are all the rage now in BS's. Supposed to be more rigid than cast iron. Quite a handsome paint scheme as well. Think I got a keeper.

I like the Rikon so much, I have two

Well sort of. At least one and a half.

I got a new Rikon 10-325 via Woodcraft, and another Creeker who decided he didn't really need it so he passed his savings on to me. Anyway, the frame was damaged either in shipping or from the plant. Rikon sent me a new unit (minus the base and table) and told me to keep the original for spare parts. So, I have a complete unit that runs great and another half unit with extra wheels, bearing guides, etc., etc.

Aside from the initial hiccup, I've been very pleased with the Rikon 10-325 and with Rikon customer service. I'm even happier now that I've replaced the stock blade with a Timberwolf 3/8" Alternate Set blade, which easily cut through a 12" tall mesquite log.

Good Luck with your decision.

After a lot of research I decided on the Rikon 10-325. I had it up and running in a couple of hours and it is very smooth, good quality. The additional resaw capacity and HP is well worth the extra money. If you move up you'll be glad in the long run. (I too was going to spend in the $500 range, but very happy with my decision to upgrade)

This might help:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...AND%20SAWS.pdf

14" steel frame BS review.

You lucky guys. I can only wish I could order a Rikon from here in Canada. It's either regulation or marketing, but it is on a "no fly" list so it cannot be imported (or exported from your side of the border). Maybe some day.

John, don't know if you want to go this route or even have the opportunity, but we bought a used Laguna BS and man is it a cadillac machine! I hope for you the best to find what you need. Sometimes used can do it for you! Take care, Jude

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Rathbone View Post
    You lucky guys. I can only wish I could order a Rikon from here in Canada. It's either regulation or marketing, but it is on a "no fly" list so it cannot be imported (or exported from your side of the border). Maybe some day.
    Did you check out Woodcraft.com?

As far as I am concerned the Delta, be it foreign or USA made matters not. The 28-206 is my choice in new bandsaws.

As far as the shakes go, my 1985 American made delta was horrible. I had to balance the wheels and pulleys myself. My 1944 American made Delta required no "tuning". It was smooth and quiet from the factory.

Vibration issues with the Ridgid BS are not uncommon. The BS and lathe seem to get more complaints than other Ridgid machinery in general. The belt and wheels are primary contributors.

I'd go with the Griz, Steel City, Rikon or Craftsman...FWIW, the Craftsman 14" is made by Rikon and offers alot of featsures for the price on sale.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 07-07-2007 at 11:01 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....