Thread: A Few Things I Made

A Few Things I Made

Since I have enjoyed seeing what others are doing I thought I should post a few items that I have made. Below are two vases that I made my wife.

The first vase is made from a Erlenmeyer flask, Brazilian cherry, and brass rod. The top ring was turned to form, then split, lined with felt, drilled for the vertical stays (brass rods) and glued around the neck of the flask. The base was turned to cradle the flask base and drilled for the stays. Both the ring and base were finished with BLO and wax. The stays were turned with a slight taper and round tenons at either end. The stays were then epoxied in place. The glass beads were added to hold the flower stems. Total height nom. 6".

The second vase is a bud vase. The top chrome section is a discarded shower head. I bored out the inside to create a step and epoxied the frog onto the step. Then the head was backfilled with epoxy to make it water tight. The base is cherry first bored and chamfered to accept the shower head and then turned to shape. The cherry is finished with BLO and wax. Total height nom. 7".

I guess in the art community this type of thing is referred to as “adaptive reuse”. I just call it fun.
    Anyhow, thanks for looking, and thanks for the inspiration.

Wes
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice Wes

I just can’t see those types of things when I go into the shop to make stuff. That’s why this forum is such a great place to get ideas. Thanks for letting us see them.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Wes, very creative. They both look very nice.

Those are great, Wes. I especially like the second one...something about the combination of the wood, metal and texture appearance of the interior is very appealing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Hi Wes,

You do very nice work and your use of different materials and the proportions of these pieces is exceptional (who knew a shower head could be so attractive ;-).

Cheers,
    Roger

To say it as simply as possible, Wes, "love 'em".....

Wolf

Thanks for the post Wes, really nice. I like your creativity and novel use of other non-wood items.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

Wes,

That is super! Very inovative...makes me not feel so bad about having all the junk laying around my house. They are project parts Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow and to seeing all that big iron at Wilke.

Noah
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; wheter by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easeir because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wes,
    That is wonderful use of materials. I will be sending you all of my "junk" to have fun with.
    Alan

Wes, really nice shaping on the bud vase. The sharp geometry of the shower head contrasts subtly and beautifully with the curvature on the cherry. Really neat!