Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retail Wood stores closing

Retail Wood stores closing

Hogan hardwoods in Oklahoma City has closed its retail outlet--no more walking in and selecting a piece of wood. And I was getting ready to visit the "Curly Wood" store in McKinny Tx. and thought I had better call before I made the drive to make sure they were open and I find out they were closing the doors for good the next day. Now my choices as to where I can buy nice project wood is really limited. Any suggestions in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area?

Central Hardwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis Perry View Post
    Hogan hardwoods in Oklahoma City has closed its retail outlet--no more walking in and selecting a piece of wood. And I was getting ready to visit the "Curly Wood" store in McKinny Tx. and thought I had better call before I made the drive to make sure they were open and I find out they were closing the doors for good the next day. Now my choices as to where I can buy nice project wood is really limited. Any suggestions in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area?
    I recently discovered the closing of Hogan's in OKC. I did stumble onto another yard in OKC ( thanks google ), it is called Phoenix Hardwood and Plywood

http://www.phoenixhardwood.com/index.html

I haven't been able to make a trip there yet, hopefully next week. They are not open on weekends.

I talked to a guy on the phone and he seemed to know wood and plywood. I don't think they have a store like Hogan's did, but he did say you can go out in the yard and select the pieces.

I'll let you know what I find when I get to make a trip there.

HTH

Phoenix Hardwoods

Yes I've been to Phoenix Hardwoods several times--nice guys and I have bought from them but they really cater more to the production cabinet shops. There is also Central hardwoods in OKC but the same is true for them--they will not allow anyone to select or "dig through" their stacks--you take it as it comes off the stack.

Yes I've been to Phoenix Hardwoods several times--nice guys and I have bought from them but they really cater more to the production cabinet shops. There is also Central hardwoods in OKC but the same is true for them--they will not allow anyone to select or "dig through" their stacks--you take it as it comes off the stack.
    Thanks. It seems like the guy I talked to did say I could dig through the top three rows of a stack. I wonder how McIntire or McIver or whomever the new owner of the Hogan's yard will be? I know that there is a $100.00 minimum.

Thanks again

I'm in Ada, OK and have experienced the same problem. I called Hogan's about 2 weeks ago and the guy was very "down" and said he didn't know how much longer they would be open but couldn't really talk about it. Then I discovered Curly Woods in McKinney, TX and just like you, I called before I headed down and found out they were closing.

I am in need of a pretty hefty volume of Tiger Wood (Goncalo Alves) to panel the entry way to our new house. I am looking at ordering it from InternetLumber.com. They have great prices for 1000bf quantities but I seldom ever need this much. I did go into Central Hardwoods in OKC a while back and they were quite friendly but they really only deal in Poplar and Oak. They seemed to be focused on MDF and plywoods.

If you guys discover someone in our region I would sure appreciate letting me know. I will do the same.

How about Gray's Sawmill in Durant? Has anyone tried them?

http://www.redriverok.com/sawmill/index.html

I was getting ready to visit the "Curly Wood" store in McKinny Tx. and thought I had better call before I made the drive to make sure they were open and I find out they were closing the doors for good the next day.
    ??? Have they closed just the brick and mortar retail portion of their business? and will continue online sales? If not, that's a shame. Mike had a very nice mail order wood operation there. Excellent product and service.
    I notice that the website is still up.

Hey guys, has the Hogans in Grand Prairie/Arlington closed their retail operation also? I know they shut down the little store in SE Fort Worth when the company sold and split stores.
    Brad, I don't know about those particular species, but Barney Robinsons and R E Sweeney (RES Door) in Fort Worth have some hardwoods. I've bought Ash from Robinsons, and Ash trim items from Sweeney. Try Toolseeker's lumber source pages: http://www.toolseeker.com/lumber.htm
    They show several places in Dallas for hardwoods.
    Brad, how long have you lived in Ada? I was born and grew up there. Left when I graduated high school in '74 and came to Texas for college. Many of my class mates still live there, as well as my FIL and his wife. The little train at Wintersmith Park was built in my Dad's shop back in the late 50's by a group if guys from the Kiwanis Club. Glad to see someone in Ada doing wood working. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Update.

According to Hogan's web site, the Texas stores are gone also. They do still show a location in Little Rock. Maybe that would be an alternative for the OK crowd.
    There were 2 companies that purchased the Hogan stores. Seems like one was Austin Hardwoods, but who was the other?
    And Lewis, sorry I didn't even notice you were from Stratford. My Grandparents lived in Pickett for a while after they sold the concrete plant in Ada. And I have a SIL and her husband and 2 little ones that live in Pauls Valley. Man you guys need to stop this! I'm feeling old this morning remembering all the old times!!! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 07-08-2007 at 9:32 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I'm sorry to hear another OK retailer has gone under. Poor Oklahoma. It seems economic prosperity eludes just about everyone and everything there.

I went to high school in a little town called Perkins. It's near Stillwater where my parents and brother now live. When my family visits Colorado, they are thrilled at the retail choices we have. Stillwater has come a very long way in this area over the past twenty years, but it's still very different from most metropolitan areas.

My brother is a truck driver. He hauls large oak logs from NE OK to Stillwater where his employer cuts them. Here's the bad news. His employer sells the oak to restaurants where they burn it. Apparently, this is a quite profitable venture. Funny how there's more money in burning wood then making in furniture with it.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 07-08-2007 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    How about Gray's Sawmill in Durant? Has anyone tried them?

http://www.redriverok.com/sawmill/index.html
    Yes, Called them and nice lady said they only deal in lumber harvested locally and they don't have a kiln.

Don't feel too sorry for Oklahoma. Just ask Gearge Shinn the owner of the New Orleans Hornets. They played in OKC for the last two years and tried everything except suing the NBA to stay in Oklahoma. The first season our attendance ranked 9th out of 32 teams and the team made money for the first time in a long while. We ranked 11th (beating the LA Lakers) last year even though it was a fact that the Hornets were leaving and the team stunk up the place.

In Ada where I live there are 13 new housing additions with construction going crazy. The Town of Durant is now the fastest growing city in the US with a population under 50k.

We'll never have the population of the Northeast or California (Thanks God). Living in a semi-rural area does have it shortcomings - like not having close access to all the retail - but I would not trade for anywhere.

Thanks to all for the links. Dallas - Ft. Worth is just down the road (2-1/2 hours) looks like that's where I'll being heading to in the future for my hardwoods.

DFW hardwoods

Sweeney has a good selection in DFW, but they are less prone to let you sift through their wood pile. Also, Barney Robinson hardwoods. Both are in Fort Worth near downtown.

15. I hate to hear the condition of my favorite state. I keep hoping that someday I'll be able to move back, but I can't earn a living back home.

Brian - Born in Oklahoma City, Graduated HS in Ardmore and OSU alum.