Thread: looking for mesquite

looking for mesquite

Have been seeing some awesome turnings coming out of here done from mesquite, and wondered how a mediocre turning would look like. Of course, no mesquite up here, and the E-thing doesn't have a lot for bowl blanks. Does anyone here have a supplier that isn't on the e-sell, that would ship to canada? Not looking for a lot, mostly curious because of all the good things people say about it
    measure, cut, shake head

Hey, Ron,

Just PM me; nah, this is not great Mesquite, it's lots of cracked and checked wood, but if you like smaller pieces, calls, boxes, candlesticks, just let me know. I've got a mallet I'm turning for another gentelman, may ship tomorrow or the next day - would be glad to ship you some Mesquite, no prob. Just know it's not in the best shape is all, but yes, it's fun to turn and yes, it does turn nicely. Take care, Jude

Texas Mesquite

Ron,
    Have a look at http://www.texaswoodcrafts.net/mesquite/
    Lloyd

I've got a lot of mesquite but I am in the middle of a move right now and not even sure if I can process some or bring them with me for that matter due to down sizing.

If you are not in a hurry, let me know the ideal size for you (and characteristics you like) and I will try to get it to you next week. Note that most sap area probably have worm holes now so natural edge will be tough for me. Note that some of my stash are from bigger trees and some are quartered and still have more than 12" wide pieces. Some do have stress cracks and finding a clear/solid huge piece can be tricky.

You can pay me whatever you feel it is worth, just make sure it is enough to cover shipping .
    Last edited by Dario Octaviano; 07-08-2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Dario

Quote Originally Posted by Dario Octaviano View Post
    I've got a lot of mesquite but I am in the middle of a move right now and not even sure if I can process some or bring them with me for that matter due to down sizing.
    Hey Buddy..

When Shipping to Canada you should use the post office, UPS charges us Canucks a "Brokerage Fee" at the door of about $40, if you mark the package right ($30 value or less and a Gift) you will help Ron not to have to pay extra taxes....

Hey Ron, I grew up North of Montreal in Ste Rose Laval, where are you?
    Take care,
    Jim

As Jim stated, we are nigh well taxed to death up here (gas about $4.20 a gallon) so usps is the way to go when possible. Jim, I work in Montreal/Laval area, but live west of the island off highway 20, just before the start of the 401, little town of Coteau Station (12 klicks from Ontario border). Thanks for the responses, Jude and Dario, PM your way...
    measure, cut, shake head

You don't look for mesquite. It finds you!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Braun View Post

True story!....I was in Houston for 5 days and some found it's way to me. My youngest son is enroute to deliver it to Idaho. I expect it'll arrive this evening or early tomorrow a.m.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Braun View Post
    How true. In fact some just found me this morning along with some African Sumac.

When they bulldoze down a couple 20 inchers more might find me as well, though not sure wher I will put it.
    Mike Vickery

Were kind of lucky that way down here in the SW. Of course coming across a nice maple is rare.
    Since I was with Mike this morning some of that wood followed me home too.

Mike, one word for you- Shed. Right now more of a kiln than anything but its got a lot of wood in it.

Ron, let me know if your other offers fall through.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

looks like Jude and Dario have too much on their hands and graciously offered some to me..now I gotta go steal the neighbors maple from his side yard to have something to trade..might even make CNN. Thanks to all those who offered, and if some mesquite follows you home that easy, it must like...grow on trees down there..
    measure, cut, shake head

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Journeau View Post
    I work in Montreal/Laval area, but live west of the island off highway 20, just before the start of the 401, little town of Coteau Station (12 klicks from Ontario border). ..

I know where you are! I used to ride my 10 speed from Laval to Cornwall Ont to visit my grandmother when I was a teenager...I'd ride through Dorion and down along old #2, the length of the Soulange Canal all the way to the Ontario border...

Great memories!
    Take care,
    Jim

Good luck with your Mesquite Ron. Well mesquite is a good turning wood the reason you see so much of it is just that it is one of the most prevelent trees here in the SW. I get excited when I get a hold of something that isn't Mesquite. Probably over 65% of the wood I find is Mesquite.
    Mike Vickery

Yeah, it's an interesting cycle. Mesquite in the luggage on the way up to the North East. Maple in the luggage on the way back home. TSA must be wondering what the heck that's all about.

Yeah my wife thinks I'm crazy. Shipping boxes of wood across the country to people for a box of wood in return?

LOML thinking.......Why not keep the wood you have, they keep the wood they have and you both save on shipping? It's wood, it's all the same!!

I put it to her in woman speak. It's like different flavor of bon bons. You like the cherry, they don't sell it here. You have you friend from New York ship you a box. You ship her the box of orange zest. You both are happy now.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!