Thread: Pecan for patio furniture?

Pecan for patio furniture?

Work starts next week on a new patio and cover for the back yard, and I'm thinking I need nicer patio furniture than the KMart stuff I'm using now. I'm considering building the 'sunburst' table from the latest American Woodworker, but I'm a bit up in the air as to material.

The one in the magazine was white oak, which I don't like all that much. Obvious choices for outdoor stuff are things like redwood (too soft IMHO), teak (too many $$$ IMHO), and lyptus (maybe, but it's awfully...red).

I've done some turned stuff from pecan and like the grain and color, but how well does it hold up to exterior use? (Note that this is southern California: not much water, either as liquid or vapor, but plenty of UV and ozone. )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee - I haven't used pecan outdoors but my guess is that if you seal the end grain it'll work fine here in CA.

Good luck!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lee, I'm not sure how it will work in CA. but I wouldn't us it here. You might also want to consider cypress.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.