Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile bases

Mobile bases

In my garage/shop, all the tools must be on mobile bases. Am I crazy to spend $225.00+ on a HTC heavy duty dedicated base for my 500lb. bandsaw, or is constructing my own the better way to go?

Bob
    bob m

Shop Fox heavy duty

about $70 and good for up to 600 lbs. (they claim).
    Tony

Yes, you are, Bob!

Try the Shop Fox mobile bases available from Grizzly. I have the 600 lb. rated one ($70) under my G1023 TS.

To be safe, you might spring for the 1200 lb one ($90).

One thing I will tell you, the 2 knobs/screws used to lock down the base are a POS. That is my only gripe about the base: mine are difficult to turn and mostly stripped, I think. If you go with the Shop Fox, you might carefully inspect these when you get them...perhaps run a fresh tap through them to ensure good threads. Thank goodness that I rarely need to use mine...the weight of the TS pretty much keeps it in place. Other than that, this is a solid, and good quality mobile base.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/196.cfm?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

think about the 500 lb bandsaw on a on a base not made to hold that much wieght you are moving it around the shop then the base flexes being top heavy that bandsaw tips what damage is going to be done when it comes down?????
    Mike

I guess I should have mentioned that I bought a Vega base; the one with the lever/handle in front; similar to the MiniMax mobility kit. Just didn't work; way hard to move in a straight line, let alone manuever easily...and just didn't feel secure, at least not for a top heavy tool like a bs.

Bob
    bob m

Cool Busted!!!

Hey, in case the rest of you guys missed it, our buddy Bob here has slipped in (rather slyly, I might add!) a major, STEALTH new tool GLOAT! Bob, why don't you go ahead and share a few more details of that there BS and maybe they'll better understand exactly why you NEED something really heavy-duty! All I can say is, congrats on a real beauty and have fun with it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

A major gloat or rather pregloat, since the bandsaw (Agazanni 20") is sitting in my unheated garage/shop and need to put in another 220 outlet, soooooooooooooo, hopefully will be ready to cut next week.

But I have to say that I am impressed with the condition of the saw upon arrival. It was boxed and packed perfectly, not a scratch to be found and totally set up (no cosmoline). It was also tested before shipping. Eagle Tools did a fine job. Fit and finish look nice,gears work smoothly, but at this level of saw it should be expected.

And a thanks goes out to Mark Singer for advice and recommendations.

More info as I get it running.

Bob
    bob m

Bob,

I have the same band saw and same base I got from Jesse. The vega base is stable while not being moved around, however the Vega with the lifting bar isn't a very good mobile base to manuever with. The metal tongue on my lifting bar has nearly bent the other direction. I hammered back but it keeps bending back, sooner or later it's gonna snap.

I'd change bases but I don't move the bandsaw much. I bought a pallet jack to move my large machines around instead of mobility bases. Sooner or later I may just end up putting the thing up on a homemade pallet and use the pallet jack.

Glen,

Yes, I think the Vega is not the way to go for a bs that must be moved everyday and I also would see problems doen the road with that little hook bending over time. Wish I would have known that before buying the Vega.

BTW, how do you like the Agazanni?

Bob
    bob m

Bob,
    Sorry about the Vega base problem. I only have one mobile base on my General drum sander(from Jesse also). The rest of my machinery doesn't need to move. The base I have is the Vega and I haven't had any problem with it.I am sure Jesse will take the base back. My drum sander is lower to the ground and longer...but I move it quite well with the Vega and its tow bar.
    I know you will love the saw. I stood a nickle on my on edge the other day while it was running just to check the vibration!
    I can't really give you advice on the mobile base...because I only have the Vega.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Another vote for the Shop Fox 600# version. I have three (TS, BS and jointer) and am very satisfied.

Chris, I have not experienced any problems with the hold down screws and knobs on any of the bases. All work smoothly although I seldom use them for the same reason you cited. It sounds like you may have a bad one.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

I'm partial to the welded bases, but something you could consider is using the Delta modular base with tubular steel. It would be inexpensive and will certainly support the weight of your machine if you use the metal instead of the wood. I also know a fellow out on the left coast that started out with such a kit and welded up his own bases...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How manueverable is that SF base, is it difficult making turns? Are 4 wheel designs an advantage over 3 wheel designs in this area?

Bob
    bob m

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    How manueverable is that SF base, is it difficult making turns? Are 4 wheel designs an advantage over 3 wheel designs in this area?
    Bob
    Bob,
    Forget all this mobile base stuff. Just use your tools to make a 60x60 addition to the garage
    Bill Esposito
    Click on my user name to see the link to My Personal WoodWorking and Tool Review Pages

Paul Kunkel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    think about the 500 lb bandsaw on a on a base not made to hold that much wieght you are moving it around the shop then the base flexes being top heavy that bandsaw tips what damage is going to be done when it comes down?????
    Forget it!. I've got my 700# Griz 20" bandsaw on a Shopfox for a couple of years now. It moves, is stable, locks tight when I want it to and was the right price. If I can wear it out in a few more years I'm still ahead of the game.
    2 forums at least in favor or the Shop fox. Buy it!