Thread: Advice need on finish/brad/stapler nailer

Advice need on finish/brad/stapler nailer

I was looking at some finish nailers to use on furniture. I was thinking a 18 ga nailer since I wanted it primarily for furniture. With that said I realize that a 16 ga nailer would probably give me more options as far as heavier/longer nails - a good general purpose nailer. But I was leaning toward the 18 ga nailer. Someone also suggested a narrow crown stapler but I don't know anything about them.

I have a Paslode Framer that I really like and I believe Paslode still makes their nailers in the USA so they would probably be my first choice. I also like the looks of the Milwaukee but they are not made in the USA and are as if not more expensive than the Paslodes.

I would appreciate your advice about the best sized nailer for furniture making. Also any experience/comments on the Paslode vs Milwaukee brands.

I have all three of the Rigid guns. 18 ga finish, brad, and crown stapler. They fit my hand well and I don't remember a jam with any of them. The crown stapler and brad gun have worked fabulous and both of them have probably had thousands fired through them. They are both oiless too which is a plus. I also have the PC brand in 18 ga finish and brad gun. They both are good too, but I find I reach for the Rigid ones each time. You would probably want the 18 over the 16 ga for furniture. I use the crown stapler for upholstery and hardboard backers.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

I have the Porter Cable brand of all three guns. They have performed very well. I also have the Porter Cable pancake compressor and it is TOO LOUD. I bought everything as a set. My experience is the same as Mark's. I use the 18 gauge far more than either of the others, but they all have their uses.

Most folks opt for an 18 gage brad nailer for typical wood shop usage. These small fasteners are quite adequate, especially given their function most of the time is to provide positional support while glues cure...the strength in the joint is primarily with the glue. (23 gage pinners are used similarly for very small components)

I view the 16 gage brad gun as more of a utility tool that crosses over between woodworking and home improvement. The slightly heavier fastener is "more reliable" (less likely to bend, etc) when longer lengths are in use, although not as strong as a 15 gage angle gun that shoots "real" nails.

I do own a 1/4" narrow crown stapler and it gets used occasionally. I would say it's not really a required tool, but a useful one to get at some point where your needs are "hidden" and the extra holding power of the dual legs is useful, such as for thin cabinet backs.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-11-2007 at 2:22 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have the Porter Cable brand of all three guns. They have performed very well. I also have the Porter Cable pancake compressor and it is TOO LOUD. I bought everything as a set. My experience is the same as Mark's. I use the 18 gauge far more than either of the others, but they all have their uses.
    Got the same kit and love it - LOUD comp however.