Thread: Looking for good Router Table, JessEm Rout-R-Table System?

Looking for good Router Table, JessEm Rout-R-Table System?

I use my router table allot, Right not I have a Benchdog contractor with a Woodpecker lift. I like it but the top is just to small and I would like a better fence system.

I was looking at the JessEm Rout-R-Table System and this looked really nice The sliding fence is really what sold me and the router lift on the side of the table. The issues I see are:

I use a fence riser allot or a tall fence I do not see that avaiable for it, any workarounds?

Dust collection under the table looks like it would not work well. I could build a box around it so this is not a big deal.

I always wanted a incra type fence that was on a track and not just loosen bolts move fence and tighten again. I think they are more accurate when making dove tails. (although I have never done dovetails).

You need to crank the router all the way up every time you need to change the bit, the woodpecker has a quick lift system, is cranking it up and down for blade changes a pain?

Is there any other tables that you can recommend? Or I can build one.

-=Jason=-

What size are you looking for? I think the standard is about 24" x 32". I just snagged one from Hartvilletool for $90 shipped or so. They are having a sale on router access and that includes the insert plate. Hard to pass up at that price! Already has t-track and miter track installed. With fence its about $135? I plan to mill a piece of aluminum to replace the plastic insert for a HD router. Most fences will have a t-slot in them where you can attach a section of tall MDF or UMHW to get what you are looking for. I plan to attach my fence I made out of MDF to the top with 2 attachment points per side so it should stay pretty straight and perpendicular to the left to right orientation for dovetails etc. Hope this helps.

Jason, check out the Jointech system with the digital lift.

Jason,

Since you're already looking at Jessem, you may want to look at the MastRLift XL. When I was ready to move to a lift, I wasn't looking to go that far, but after an experience with Woodpeckers and the Jointech digital lift being on back order, I took the plunge. I built my own enclosed cabinet with perfboard sides that does a great job sucking up all the debris. I also made my own fence, so I can't tell you about their fence. Eventually I would like to get the Jointech fence system.

One word of caution, if you want precision, don't just assume your new product, whatever brand it is, is flat, square, etc. I sent a Woodpeckers PRL back because the plate drooped on 2 corners by about .012", among other problems. With my Jessem, I had to loosen the mounting bolts and square the lift to the phenolic table. There was one in the store that you couldn't even get a router into! I also didn't like how stiff the lifting mechanism was, so I took it all apart and polished, lubed, shimmed, etc. to get it fairly smooth. I now wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market. The scale is also extremely accurate!

Changing bits takes some cranking, yes. However, since the crank is mounted to the table top, it's a fairly fast process. The crank is always there, you don't have to move the fence or stopblocks, and it's a one handed operation. The collet also comes all the way out the top, so changing bits with 2 wrenches is easy.

Of course, with the lift built into the table, you have the benefit of the table being pre-drilled for their fence.

Good luck.

Greg

I just picked up the Woodpecker router table from Woodcraft. It has the sliding fence, and I believe an accessory fence available for the taller pieces. Your existing lift should drop right in. Unfortunately, they don't sell the top seperately, and the bottom could stand to be enclosed. (But that can be fixed)

The fence doubles as a jointer if you use the shims on the outfeed side, my old small Craftsman jointer promptly hit the skids.

Bryan