Thread: Milwaukee 14.4 & 18 volt battery recall!

Milwaukee 14.4 & 18 volt battery recall!

If you have any 14.4v or 18V NiCd Milwaukee, Chicago Pneumatic, or Extractor batteries Milwaukee Tools have announced a recall on all batteries made between 1999 to 2005.
    go to this link to read all about it.
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/s...df?OpenElement
    Jim

I called Milwaukee last nite on mine to verify the date codes........going to be getting 5 new ones.

Don't think that if your tool isn't very old that your batteries are not involved in the recall. From the date codes on mine, some of the batteries were sitting around in a warehouse for over a year before the tool was shipped out.
    Check, just to be safe. The reason for the recall is exploding batteries.

Ed

Thanks so much for posting this information. Both of my 18V Milwaukee batteries are affected. I have 2 small children and don't want to even consider what could happen if one of these batteries were to explode while sitting on the charger.

Fred.

Thank You.
    Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

Thanks!

I appreciate you posting this information. I have two batteries that are affected. I hate not being able to use my tools until the return and replacement takes place but it is much better than the possible alternative.

Tim

Jim, THANKS.

Like the others, I have two batteries recalled and two that are all right. When I called today, they said typical turn around from call to new battery is about two weeks. That's not bad and like others have said, considering the possible consequences of these bad batteries, I'd wait a lot longer than that.

Amazing that this recall involves approximately one million batteries!!!

Again thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Rebuilt batteries question answered.

I’d like to pass along some more information about the battery recall which pertains to how to handle any batteries rebuilt by Batteryrebuilders. I contacted them because I was wondering if these batteries should be included on the recall. Jason from batteryrebuilders said that they do not use any replacement cells with vents therefore there was no need to replace any batteries rebuilt by them.
    Good because I just had two of mine rebuilt.
    Jim

Thanks for posting this James. I would like to clarify one thing as I may have mislead you with my wording. Our cells do in fact have vents and valves in them to prevent high pressure and/or explosion. What I was attempting to relay to customers is that if we rebuilt the battery the cells that are being recalled have been recycled and are no longer a possible hazard to anyone. The vent problem is with the cells used not with the case which makes a rebuild safe even if the date code matches.

We had a flood of calls about this since the recall was issued. I had a bunch of people tell me they took the rebuilt batteries apart and pulled our "cores" out and put other used Milwaukee cores that were not covered under the recall back in to get replaced. I would imagine they will get away with it as I can't imagine Milwaukee will pull each one apart before shipping replacements.

I would imagine they will receive 20% or less of the 1 million batteries being recalled. Average battery life is a few years hence many have been thrown away, lost, or broken. Battery recyclers must be having a field day with this.

Jason
    Battery Builders
    www.mtobattery.com

There you go folks, you've gotten the "skinny" first hand from the battery expert. (Thanks Jason.)
    I'm just happy that there is no need to send in my new rebuilt batteries to exchange them for some "wimpy" ones.
    Jim