Thread: Dimensions

Dimensions

Howdy all!! Question about stock for those that know. If I'm roughing out pen blacks, what are the basic dimensions I should stay with? I know there are several styles of pen out there, but I want to make sure I'm cutting them correctly......

Keith

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta
    Howdy all!! Question about stock for those that know. If I'm roughing out pen blacks, what are the basic dimensions I should stay with? I know there are several styles of pen out there, but I want to make sure I'm cutting them correctly......

Keith
    Pen blanks are usually 3/4" x 3/4" x 6"

Ken,

Can it be less the 3/4"? I have some walnut that is 11/16". And if so, does it have to be square ( 11/16x11/16 )?
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Ken,

Can it be less the 3/4"? I have some walnut that is 11/16". And if so, does it have to be square ( 11/16x11/16 )?
    Yes Dick------ Actually you can make slimline style pens with a blank as small as 1/2" x 1/2" x 5".
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Pen Blank Dimensions

Actually, pen blanks can be anywhere from 1/2" x 1/2" to 7/8" x 7/8", with 5/8-3/4 being most common. The length varies, depending on the kit. Some kits which only have one body can use blanks about 3" long (CSUSA's Patriot pen, for instance). But most kits need blanks in the 5"-6" range.

If you have any 4/4 stock that is 15/16" or 7/8" thick, you might cut some larger blanks. There are a few kits that need big blanks, like Berea's El Grande and CSUSA's Gentlemens pens.

I think the Freedom Pens Project is great!

Jim Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta

Keith