Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jig Saw recommendations

Jig Saw recommendations

Looking to add a jig saw to my newbie workshop; any recommendations on new or used, my current budget is under $100.00. I have been checking ebay and craigslist.

I read on another forum that you can buy a cheap jigsaw as long as you upgrade the blade to a Bosch. Not sure if that was good advice since I noticed he was selling a Craftmsan for $15.00.

Thank you for a great forum!

If you spend a few more dollars, you should be able to get the Bosch on sale from Amazon. Rather than buying a "make do" tool that will not perform well and you will eventually replace, I would strongly urge you to get the tool that will perform better and will not need to be replaced.

IMO, the Bosch jigsaw is that tool.

You can buy a $50 craftsman and it will vibrate out of your hand like a jackhammer. Something with a metal body will always run smoother. Due to the motion of the blade the more stability it has the cleaner your cut. I have a Crapsman and it makes pretty rough cuts even with good blades. It was cheap and I didn't know that quality mattered as I've always viewed Jigsaws as something for rough cutting etc. But now I know.

I bought a Bosch 1590 and it ridiculously outperforms the Craftsman. The blades are thicker and do not bend while cutting wood.

This is a pretty nice saw and $99.00
    http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_s...87avsk-46.html
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

If I were you, I'd jump on the one in John's link.

Buy a Bosch. The difference between that and a cheap one is astounding. The most expensive tools are the cheap ones you buy...and buy...and buy!!! because they fail!!

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    I used to have a Black and Decker 1970's jigsaw. I had read all about people raving over the Bosch, and I thought I might try a Bosch one day because it just took SOOOO long to cut anything with my old jigsaw, and you couldn't get a decent cut no matter what blade you used.

Well, I found a used 1587AVSK on ebay for $40 shipped, and the difference in performance between the old B&D and the Bosch was unbelievable. I bought another one at a pawn shop for my dad at about the same price. In my opinion, there is no other jigsaw besides a Bosch. Others may argue Festool, and it's probably a great tool, but the price difference doesn't justify it for my needs.

Definately get the Bosch. You won't regret it.

I'll second the 1587. I picked one up from a local "damaged freight" store, NIB for $80 after taxes. The price difference between that and the 1590 didn't make the easier blade changes worthwhile.

While better blades will make a difference in a cheaper tool, it won't make you happier to use it. I haven't tried the Festool (budget verses need/use), but what you MIGHT do, is post a wanted in the classifieds section. If someone gets a bunch of stuff from Bob, then they might sell you a Bosch.

I have the Bosch 1590 its very smooth.Works for me.

Blog Entries
    A good jigsaw is a joy to use. Between good and really poor are a whole family of jigsaws that are nothing but a pain; inaccurate, jumpy, noisy, etc. Prices for 'almost good' to dreadful run from near $100 to $15.

I don't mean to sound opinionated but I finally bought a real jigsaw after using what I thought was a jigsaw for years. I would only reach for it when I absolutely had to. The new saw gets used all the time.

CPO Bosch sells refurbs, I got my Bosch 1591EVSK on sale at Home Depot Online of all places for the best price at the time. Just my take on this and I'm not trying to be blunt but, if you're not going to go with a 'good' one, buy the cheapest thing you can find because its going to get replaced anyway.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Actually, if I recall the FWW jigsaw review from a year or two ago correctly, they rated the Bosch 1590 as about equal in quality to the Festool jigsaw.

I have a 1590 that I got from my dad a few years ago, and is a precision tool head and shoulders above any other jigsaw I have used (cheapies) which were only good for making really rough cuts.

I have a porter cable that I picked up at a local auction for $30 and it's awesome. Leaves cuts as smooth as my table saw (WWII blade).

Quote Originally Posted by John Shuk View Post
    What has everyone's experiences been with reconditioned tools? Depending on the price gradient from a new model, I'm usually leery about them. 50% discount is hard to pass up but a few bucks here or there I always go with new.