Jim Bell

One more pass and you may see brass!

3. I would go with the Bosch also.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Flynt View Post
    Bosch, Bosch or the Bosch.
    I would choose the second one.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

Over time, I have used Craftsman (bad), an old B&D (better), and DeWalt (better yet, but not great) jigsaws. I currently own and use the (reconditioned) model shown in the link above. It is a great saw, and has not let me down in the several years I have owned it.

The newer model has an improved blade change system, but otherwise appears to have the same features. You should be happy with either one.

I bought the PC 9543 about 3 years ago. It is ok, but I do find that it kicks up sawdust into my face, and I don't think the blade stays true 90 on cuts, both straight and curves. It has a lot of power and cuts well, though. I wish I could have played with the Bosch a little more. I liked it, but couldn't find a local dealer where I could actually play with it cuttiang something. The PC certainly wasn't a cheap unit, and I like it better than the B&D I had before, but I feel like there is something better out there, but can't quantify that statement. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

7. Maybe I shouldn't post this while I am so beat. I need to take a nap. I agree with everyone else, the Bosch jig saw is the way to go. I understand they invented the thing.

Something worth noting. I bought the model that had the hole in the top of the head, for an included long shafted narrow head screw driver to go down, in order to replace the blade. After that they came out with the model that had a quick blade change mechanism, identifiable as the one with the black plastic paddle integrated into the top. Then the model after that had a slide lever lower down on the front.

(Please note: Be sure and wear gloves when changing blades, they are swiss made. I thought it was a joke, when Bosch instructed you to do that, until I changed one, and the blade just glazed my finger, and caused a shred. The swiss aren't known for making knives for nothing, and that is who makes the Bosch jig saw blades.)

Here is what is important.
    The one that I bought had the screwdriver hole in the top, and it took about 10 seconds to change a blade, and it cut a perfect 90 to the top, and I mean perfect.
    The next model had the quick change mechanism, and it cut a perfect 88, say what? Seriously, even the Bosch rep at a show, who when challenged on it, and tested it found the same, then he broke out another brand new one, and it did the same thing.
    The third model that had the slide lever lower on the front, had an overheating problem.
    It is interesting to note that Bosch doesn't just manufacture and sell the newest model, but some of the earlier versions as well. You can see the models available at the Bosch web site. Boy I am being no help at all, not even a link. Like I said, nap time/ \

Is it possible that the market is flooded with used models that have the above mentioned problems?

In conclusion, I wouldn't buy any other jig saw other than a bosch, but make sure it cuts perfect 90's. I checked mine with a Bosch digital protractor. That is a topic for another post, and worthy of it. The Bosch digital protractor creates digital measurements of angles, accurate to a tenth of a degree, which is equal to 3600 dots in a circle, not matter how small the circle is, and it wasn't off by even one tenth of a degree, that kind of perfect.
    The model with the quick change mechanism, at the show and in online reviews, was so far off, that a combination square made it as uneven as the PM2000 blade in the gentlemans post who is now receiving his third one from PM.
    Sorry I did not look up the numbers on these models. I'm beat. I looked at mine, and their isn't even a model number on it, except a serial number that is buried by the handle.
    I just thought that something as important as the above info should be known by my fellow SMC members before more purchases are made. Make sure it cuts a perfect 90 if you are buying a used one. Bring your square.
    You can not adjust these to fine tune them either, the earlier models had a V groove it tightened into, so no adjustment was possible.

I have not been keeping up with the Bosch saws in the past 2 years, so maybe someone can enlighten me about the latest developments. I love mine, it is amazing. With a fine tooth blade, and a guide, you can cut a piece of melamine, and it will create such a perfectly smooth and even cut, it looks like it was ripped with a Forrest WWII. By the way, don't get the clear plastic covers, to prevent tear out, they fog up with saw powder and you can't see the line. Just use the fine blade, and you won't get any tear out, plus you can see the line. Hope this helps.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

The obvious consensus is Bosch. I have the 1587, but I suspect any of the models are similar. I feel this is the biggest upgrade of any tool I have; it's that much better than the lesser jigsaws. Of all the tools you may purchase in the future, you will never regret getting a Bosch jigsaw. How much will you miss $20-$40 over a ten to twenty year period? This one's a no-brainer to me!

Doug Lindley Guest
    I have to go along with the concensus here. I bought a Bosch 1590 about a year ago because of all the great things that were written about it. I wondered if it could be as good as everything I read. I can tell you, you have to use it to believe the difference. It is so smooth and powerful unlike those cheap units that will have your arm shaking for 15 minutes after using it. It really does make using a jigsaw a pleasure rather then a horrible experience.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Cowardin View Post
    What has everyone's experiences been with reconditioned tools? Depending on the price gradient from a new model, I'm usually leery about them. 50% discount is hard to pass up but a few bucks here or there I always go with new.
    Grady,
    I've bought refurbed Delta and Milwaukee tools from different sources with zero problems. I can't speak to Bosch but refurbed usually means that the factory has gone over it and made sure it performs "AS NEW".
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

I used to have a jigsaw made by Skil... which name you need a lot to correctly handle this device. I swear in its previous life it must have been a paint mixer for it was impossible to saw a straight line much less a curve... it had a mind of his own.

Then I bought a Bosh 1590... ( angels singing! ) I was in jigsaw heaven! Straight, flawless and precise cut! One of my best power tool!
    AT

Knowledge is to know tomatoes are fruits.
    Wisdom is to know not to put any in a fruit salad.

12. Just got a Bosch to replace a 25-year old Milwaukee.

Nice tool, very nice, much smoother than the Milwaukee.

Two Step to Bosch....:(

While crafting a race car bed for my nephew my C-man saw proved to be more than a handful. At the time I couldn't justify the Bosch in my head, so I bought what appeared to be a nicer Skil. I finished up my project and the Skil sat in its case quietly, waiting for its next chore. I had another head board project, so out came the Skil. A few minutes into my first cut I noticed that the shoe wasn't staying 90 degrees to the blade. So after a couple of adjustments / tightening etc I was back to my project. A couple of minutes later the same thing happened. Again I adjusted / tightened etc. This time I grabbed a piece of scrap.. BINGO SAME THING. The Skil hits the trash can and the Bosch came home. I wish I had done it in the first place.. It would have been cheaper in the long run!

Good Luck!

Clint

Well.....foot! I havent used my Bosch in a couple of years. I am going out to the shop and cut up some scrap.
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

you could definitely get a hitachi for under 100 and it got good reviews.