Thread: Night stands

Night stands

This is a night stand design I am working on to go with the last bed that I just finished. It looks simple....sometimes looks are decieving. The cabinet drawer component is made from solid oak using a continuous grain technique. mitering and joining on the outside corners. The drawer face is also a miter and when closed completes the box with no edge showing same for the back. The lower piece is a solid oak 8/4 plank , a spacer creates the "float" effect. So the details are a key part of the success of this design...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-15-2007 at 9:15 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Looks nice Mark.

I like the modern take on your designs. Use of wood and metal. I assume the legs are metal. Brushed aluminium or something? Do you have someone who makes up the metal components for your pieces?

The solid oak plank base will move a lot compared to the top part wont it. Will it be fixed though sloted holes through the spacer part?

Will the spacer part be a metal to match the legs or will it be a darker contrasting open grain wood?

Anyway looks good. It is the type of furniture I like and would like to have a go at myself once things are set up. Will be watching for details of the joints etc. If your are going to post more of the construction I would like to hear (read)your tips on doing the joinery all be hand (no machinery)

Robert

I should probably spend more time in my shop. It's sad when I get excited that Mark is starting a new project.

Will the legs be rods like it looks or should one of those profiles show a wider side of bar stock?
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    I should probably spend more time in my shop. It's sad when I get excited that Mark is starting a new project.

Will the legs be rods like it looks or should one of those profiles show a wider side of bar stock?
    I am thinking square solid stainless for the legs
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

5. NS - sometimes looks are decieivng

Hi Mark:

I like that comment: "It looks simple....sometimes looks are decieving."

My thoughts are as one's woodworking experiences grow, the level of woodworking maturity is shown through each object by finding the proper balance when including more technique in a build or when using less.

Neil

are you going to reinforce the miter joint some how? I've been experimenting, and have just ditched my new locking miter joint shaper bit because i couldn't figure out how to hide the edges.

so the options are: a hidden spline or biscuits?

I'd also be interested in any clamping tricks you have.

I'm using a long miter joint in a bed design i'm working on, and shorter ones on a bench. they are a pain to glue up.

i like the table design, and the bed (i saw the photos on your other post)

very nice work, and i love the style. modern, yet traditional. substantial.