Thread: 2 questions about finishing.

2 questions about finishing.

What type of finish would be best for some table tops for a restuarant? I need it to be really durable. I will probably buy an HVLP sprayer ( I was thinking of the wagner but I am open to suggestions ) I have a 60 gallon air compressor but will need everything else involved.

What will I need to get set up to spray such a project and what finish do you suggest?

Thanks

Not a wagner not not not.
    Maybe a SATA but NOT a wagner.

I'd go with an oil based urethane.

If they'd let me I'd go with a catalyzing two component urethane or epoxy.

It's a resaturant so it's going to get the crap beat outta it. ERGO the catalyzing coatings.

EpoxySystems has some water base epoxies I'd like to try tho.

The Wagner HVLP conversion gun available from Gleem is a very nice gun for the money. (Review on my site) But if you're seriously getting into spraying finishes, consider better and talk with Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing for suggestions on the gun as well as finishes for your high-durablity situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks guys

1 vote for wagner 1 vote against.

I'm totally new to this kind of finishing and I don't want to spend too much but on the other hand I want to have something that I can use in the future.

then you likely don't want the Wagner. They are machines built for a couple of projects, and then to get tossed.

The recommendation to talk to Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing is a very good one. Good man, good products, at various levels of investment.

The right product can be applied without investing in a $1000 set of tools...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Madsen View Post
    then you likely don't want the Wagner. They are machines built for a couple of projects, and then to get tossed.

I have to most respectfully disagree with this statement. The Wagner HVLP gun is modeled on the Sata and is not a "throw-away" product in any way, shape or form. We're not talking about their low-cost turbine system; this is a good quality pressure-feed conversion gun. I own both the 1 qt integral verison and the 2 qt external pot version and have been very pleased with them in every way. I also have all four projector sets to accomodate any material I need to spray.

Now, the reason I suggested a talk with Jeff in my previous post is that this sounded like a commercial situation and sometimes folks prefer a higher end product for pro work and "he's the man" when it comes to such things...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have no experience with the Wagner but will recommend you get a pressure feed. For a restaurant, you'll have lots of tables and a 1 - 5 gallon remote pot will help you tremendously. I'll third the recommendation to talk with Jeff Jewitt. He's been very helpful, IME. 60 gallon compressors aren't exactly portable......so you might want a smaller, portable compressor or even consider a turbine system. I favor conversion guns....I prefer to adjust the air rather than adjust the finish viscosity.

Also....I would think you cannot take the tables for a week.....you might want to choose a finish schedule that will allow you to simply scuff sand, repair any areas that need staining/coloring and then topcoat - all in one night/early morning. A restaurant likely won't expect a refinish job to have the tables in like-new condition. They just want them looking very good....ie, not all beat up looking....and topcoated with something that won't need repair for a few years or longer.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....