Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovery! Fully equipped shop in the family

Discovery! Fully equipped shop in the family

At a family party yesterday, I met for the first time in 30 years my great uncle who is 94 years old. I was vaguely aware that he used to teach carpentry years ago but had never thought anything of it.

Anyway, it turns out that he has a 750 sq ft shop in his back yard fully equipped with like, EVERYTHING!!

As soon as found out I was a cabinetmaker, he was in full flow describing his collection of over 150 planes, dozens of saws, machines etc etc. Apparantly though, since a dose of shingles a couple of years back he hasn't been able to do so much in the shop.

At his invitation, I'm going to drive over and visit him next week. I am genuinely just fascinated by the guy and want to see his set-up, but how do I avoid him thinking that I'm just after him leaving me his gear after his time's up?

It would be a pity to see it go to waste though...

I'll try and get some photos.

Brad,

It's great that you two have woodworking in common. Just enjoy the time and the conversations. Learn everything you can from him. Tools are just tools. I'm sure he will treasure the time with you. I actually envy you.

Rick

He may be ecstatic that he found someone he would be comfortable leaving his tools to when he departs the earthly plane. At the very least, I'm sure he's glad to know that he has family who can appreciate what he has and what it is for.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Definitely post pics and tell him you're going to. Hopefully he'll be proud that you want to share images of his shop on the creek.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

He invited you. I wouldn't worry about it.

Oddly enough, I've been thinking about my mortality and my tools a lot lately.. who would get them after I'm gone?

It really bothers me that there's hardly a soul in the family that knows the sharp end of a chisel.
    If I were your great uncle I'd feel a sense of relief knowing there's likely a good home for my stuff.

Enjoy the day, talk shop. You'll both be enriched by the experience.

Just my two-penny nails worth.

Blog Entries
    I would just let your open, honest enthusiasm for his company show. It should be pretty easy for him to see you enjoy his regaling you with tales of yore. I wouldn't worry about offending him.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

if its not to far of a drive maybe you could help him do a few projects once in awhile I know if I was unable to do it myself and didn't have much time left that would be worth all my tools. He invited you over talking shop might be the only satisfaction he is able to get from his shop now don't keep it from him.

Talk nicely to him and get him to include you in his will!!!

On the other hand, maybe he thinks he can out live you and wants your stuff when you go.

Offer to buy his tools. I am sure that he would rather have a relative have them than a stranger when he passes.

Adam Burgess Guest
    i have to agree with ever one. just remember to be honest, even abrupt, about you're thinking and say it. get it out in the open, and the weirdness will go away.

i found myself in a similar position recently. it is very ackward and very humbling. my girlfriends step dad was dying of cancer when i met him 8 years ago, and on my second visit to see him he told me in front of my girlfriend and her mom that when he died i would need a u-haul truck to cart away his tools and machines. i was flabbergasted and saddened at the same time. on every subsequent visit he would fill this blue recycling bucket with various tools with instructions to bring it back for a refill on our next visit, this went on till his passing this past feb., this is where it got very ackward, his widow started to pick which tools i could take and which tools she would like to sell, i am not greedy and said i was fine with that, but what do you do ? honor a mans dying wishes or respect for a grieving widow. i left it at that. over the next few weeks friends and neighbors of his reminded her of his wishes and i was invited back to take what i wanted . i ended up leaving machines i thought she could sell for a few thousand, but that i secretly wanted. she is expecting more than they are worth, i still go up with my girlfriend every couple of months to work on the house and visit, she lives a 100 miles away from us. it is very ackward in these sitituations so proceed with caution.

I know what you are going through. My sons live about four hours from me and they both enjoy woodworking. Once when they they both were visiting in my shop they started picking out the tools they would like to have. The oldest son stated it would be easy to divide the tools. He would like to have all the ones with the electric cords on them and his younger brother could have the rest.
    I guess they can sort it out when I am gone.
    Jerry
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

14. Jerry:

Welcome Home! I am a Vietnam vet as well.

Two things here:

1. The right thing will happen with the tools at the right time.

2. Older guys have a certain way of using their tools that may be different than the way another guy might use them. Have him teach you how he uses them. Very helpful.

I just wanted to chime in on an experience with my grandfather. My dad's father passed away several years ago (as I recall on his 90th birthday). My dad has seven siblings and dealing with the grief and the paper work was pretty difficult for him (my dad). I don't know all the details, but things wern't spelled out very well in the will and some of the things that were took all eight signatures! Anyway, there is no way to make your passing easy for your loved ones, but if you can take away some of the potential for animosity, you'll have done your loved ones a favor.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane