Thread: Spalted Beech Bowl

Spalted Beech Bowl

While cleaning out an area near my lumber storage in preparation for moving the "DC closet" walls, I came across a nice hunk of beech log that I acquired from another turner (John Trant) back in the summer of 2002 while enjoying a mini-picnic up at Bill Grumbine's place. So to cap off the day, I decided to turn it [sic] into a bowl...'had to do some woodworking this weekend after playing band saw mechanic!

The results are shown below. This piece is about 8" in diameter and 3" tall. Due to some minor cracks being evident in the material, I choose to stay with a little thicker profile (about 1/2") and put a slight radius on the edge. This puppy cut nicely, even though it was quite dry, and sanded up like a dream through 600 grit. The finish is several applications of thin shellac buffed on the lathe to a nice shine. While it's unusual for me, I left a little foot on this turning by cleaning up the tenon and making a nice flat recess within it. I was originally going to carve something inside the foot, but that will have to wait for a future project...

Sorry about the poor photo...LOML was making a lamb stew and I couldn't shoot on the darker stone counter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Jim,

We will sacrifice the highest of photo art for another art form, the production of a cold winters feast. This looks wonderful with out the other counter top. Another fine job.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Very cool, Jim! Awesome markings. Don't believe I've seen Beech turned before. I like it. Beautiful job on shining it up, too! Normally, I'd say I have to get one of those Beall polishing systems, but I've got so dern much going on already, don't know when I'd find the time to use it right now! Thanks for the post...Helps keep that "turning desire" going!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    While cleaning out an area near my lumber storage in preparation for moving the "DC closet" walls, I came across a nice hunk of beech log that I acquired from another turner (John Trant) back in the summer of 2002 while enjoying a mini-picnic up at Bill Grumbine's place. So to cap off the day, I decided to turn it [sic] into a bowl...'had to do some woodworking this weekend after playing band saw mechanic!

The results are shown below. This piece is about 8" in diameter and 3" tall. Due to some minor cracks being evident in the material, I choose to stay with a little thicker profile (about 1/2") and put a slight radius on the edge. This puppy cut nicely, even though it was quite dry, and sanded up like a dream through 600 grit. The finish is several applications of thin shellac buffed on the lathe to a nice shine. While it's unusual for me, I left a little foot on this turning by cleaning up the tenon and making a nice flat recess within it. I was originally going to carve something inside the foot, but that will have to wait for a future project...

Sorry about the poor photo...LOML was making a lamb stew and I couldn't shoot on the darker stone counter.
    A really unusual piece of work, Jim. The fairly thick wall makes it so. Nice form, nicely executed, good finish. An unusual and catchy spalt pattern. Looks good...

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Normally, I'd say I have to get one of those Beall polishing systems, but I've got so dern much going on already, don't know when I'd find the time to use it right now!
    The Beall system is very good...I'll be hitting this piece with it later in the week before taking it to the BWT meeting next Monday night. (A week later due as the school we meet at is closed for the holiday tomorrow)

Thanks everyone else for your kind comments...and that lamb stew do smell wonderful about now. 'Should be ready in about 15 minutes, too!
    --

Lovely bowl Jim.
    I am usually not satisfied with the way beech end grain cooperates. I'll have to try adding some mould and mildew. -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Inniss
    I am usually not satisfied with the way beech end grain cooperates. I'll have to try adding some mould and mildew.
    Beech can be quite striking when spalted...the color difference between the reddish brown "normal wood" and the creamy spalted material gives great contrast. I have a spalted beech bowl turned by Jill Biros that LOML gave me a number of years ago that really sings in that respect.
    --

Jim,
    Beautiful! Your getting a great finish too.
    Mark
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I like it, those thicker walls just make ya want to pick it up and feel it. Kinda bowl that would just feel "right".

ace

I like the way you kept the side curve with no flat spots, that spalting looks great.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Hodges
    I like the way you kept the side curve with no flat spots, that spalting looks great.
    Thanks, Glenn. I tend to stay with very organic shapes...one reason I love turning southwestern style hollow vessels. When I spent some time with pro-turner Phil Brennion out in AZ while on vacation, we concentrated a lot on paying attention to continuous curves...what he calls "sexy curves"...these are continuous and while the curvature may change throughout the object, the transition does not stand out. Sometimes it only takes a very slight tweak with a shear cut to clean things up and make any abruptness away. You have to step back from the lathe and look carefully at the edge to pick up these discontinuities. Sometimes you actually need to dismount the turning from the machine (easy to do if you are using a chuck) and set it the way it will be when finished with a plain white or black background behind it (depending on what contrasts best with the species in question) and look at it that way to pick up any problems with the shape. I'm hesitant to say the word, but this is where the "art" sometimes eclipses the "functional" when it comes to finalizing the shape of a turning.
    --