Thread: Anyone here done patina on copper?

Anyone here done patina on copper?

Wondering if anyone has a quick easy recipe for putting a cool patina on copper. David marks method looks cool, but it takes 3 weeks. I found this site:

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Do-...s-W12C672.aspx

But many of the recipes seem too easy and im not sure how well they will hold up. Im using the copper for a inside panel on 4 small doors on my fish tank stand.

I think the David Marks method can be done in less time. He has an upcoming class at the Adams WW school in Indiana where I believe he will teach his technique.

Robert, if copper colors like brass does I use a small torch on my brass hinges and pulls. Heat it till red and throw it in water. Makes the stuff 100 years old. Reed
    Creation is a transfer of ideas to matter.

Fuming with ammonia turns copper green. Liver of sulphur turns it brown, availalbe from Rio Grande, Gesswein and jewelry making suppliers or sculpture sources.

David Marks has another method, if you look at DIY for his coopered hall table, he does a copper patina using 3 chemicals. You heat the copper and pad on the chemicals. I have done this and its very easy. Now it will come off but you could spray shellac over it.

Cool, ill give some of those ideas a try. Not really sure what color will end up looking the best yet. I have a 50 foot roll so I have room to experiment.

Check the stained glass sites. My wife regularly puts different patinas on copper foil using just a chemical wash. It takes a few minutes. I'd get more info from her but I'm at a conference in Guadalajara and she's 2500 miles away... But if you pm me I'll pass it on to her.

Jack

Whitechapel the hardware reseller has some information on that on their website

This is chemistry. "Holding up" is not really an issue. It's not like an applied finish. Here's another fun site to visit:

http://www.artchemicals.com
    David DeCristoforo

A few things about copper:
    Most copper has a coating of some kind to keep it from aging before its put to use. I would recommend removing that before you try a patina.
    If you chose to burn it off with a torch, remember that if you get it to a dull red color, you have annealed the copper and it will be "dead soft" and bend very easy.
    If you want to get it to bright copper, you can "pickle" it with a warm solution of water and PH DOWN, a product you can find in the swimming pool section of your local Lowes, HD, etc.
    Any patina that you put on the copper will usually look much different when you apply a protective finish. Deft spray can lacquer is a good top coat.
    Hope this helps.
    Perry

11. There is a book 'The Colourization and Patination of Metals', which lists hundreds of recipies for every imaginable shade and color for copper. I have tried a couple of the recipies and so far they worked as described.

Cheers,
    Bernhard

Robert,
    check out the local stained glass supply shops. There are various "patina" formulas available for both lead came and copper foil which you just brush on and wash off after a few minutes. It's quick and easy and all but fool proof. A small bottle, about 6 or 8oz if I recall correctly, runs only a few bucks and goes a long ways.

Mike

Good information, thanks. I need to take a look at the project as a whole and figure out what color of patina I like.

Robert,
    The patinas for stained glass work with lead/zinc solder or lead came. The copper foil that some mention is covered with lead/zinc solder prior to treatment. I don't know what the results will be for copper.

FYI-stained glass is one of my hobbies

Good luck,
    Dick

Low Tech Method!

As a horseshoer and blacksmith Robert, we used to antique metal parts in our shop by this low tech method:
    1) clean any grease or residue off the metal item (usually iron) with a solvent
    2) stick the item outside our rural shop in full sun
    3) when someone had to urinate, the metal was the focus of attention
    4) depending on the sun, rain and environmental factors, we could age metal in days!

Sounds gross, but I understand this is a very old method and I saw it work right before my eyes. I retorspect, this was an all natural solution to using harsh chemicals and the results were spectacular!

Bob